• OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space on fresh WIndows 7 install

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #10330  by cakewipe

Hi, I am new to openKM but have been developing in Java for a 7 years. Im running Java 1.6.0_21 on my windows 7 64 bit machine.
I've seen other posts where people hit this same issue and they've had to increase their permspace in their run.bat file...
Here's how my run.bat file looks with my new modifications (in bold)...
Code: Select all
REM Add bin/native to the PATH if present
if exist "%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native" set PATH=%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native;%PATH%
if exist "%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native" set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms256m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.library.path="%PATH%"
to get it to even run without errors, I had to create a JAVA_HOME variable and add the java lib directory to my class path and the java bin directory to my path in my environment variables... These are all things I had to do that WEREN'T in the quickrun guide. which is understandable because these are Java install issues NOT openKM... Now I'm getting TONS! of PermGen space errors even after I increased my PermSize quite a bit!!!! It wouldn't even start up completely until I boosted my PermSize, now I get the PermGen error whenever I login, try to upload a file, and pretty much every other action.
Is there a problem with this running on a 64 bit processor/operating system?
Can someone please help me? I can keep increasing this size limit but I haven't seen anyone else experiencing these issues with the large memory that I've allocated for it already.

Thanks in advance!
 #10338  by cakewipe

Ok, I updated my run.sh to include these lines and took them out of the run.bat file but I still experience the same problems.
After much frustration, I tried running this on my windows Vista (32bit) computer (Which is the same computer but I have dual boot option setup so I can boot off either Windows7 or Windows Vista) and installed it the exact same way and it worked.
So now I'm thinking it has to do with either the 64bit operating system or the fact that it's Windows7... I also noticed windows 7 is not on your supported operating systems page. So now I have to ask, is Windows7 the problem? or is it 64bit ?
 #10401  by jllort

I don't know which could the the cause of the problem. Really I've got some installation on 64 bits environment but I'm not sure if there're some one on windows 7. By deafault OpenKM comes with jboss and only need JVM for running, nothing else. Do you hava java sun jdk version 1.6.X ? Could be some error on JVM version which version are you using ?
 #10463  by cakewipe

I am still hitting this error on Windows 7. Since I posted this message I have installed it successfully on Mac OS X (10.6.7 running java version 1.6.0.17) and Ubuntu
after installing on windows 7(64bit) and my windows Vista (32bit) machines. On my windows7 machine I get a TON of PermGen errors from just doing simple tasks like checking in a file. On the Vista machine I can use it for while before I start getting PermGen errors.
I have the same version of JVM running on both machines.... I type java -version and it says java version "1.6.0_18".
I'm wondering why windows would have all these issues when Mac and Ubuntu wouldn't.
 #11040  by kmstitt

Hello,

I have the same setup (Windows 7, 64 bit) This seemed to take care of the OutOfMemoryError on my computer:

I changed this line in the run.bat file from this:
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms128m -Xmx512m
to this:
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
Not sure if the Xms and Xmx settings really needed to be changed, you might get by be just adding the XX settings.

Good Luck,
-Kris
 #11084  by jllort

it's good have Xmx1024m of memory assigned 512 is too small for jboss.

Next openkm release will come with tomcat bundle or jboss bundle, really we're now developing under this both environments ( on trunk )

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.