• Any and all file types

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #324  by alexfisher

I\'ve been trying to use OpenKM, but it\'s limited file types are causing me trouble. E.g. I cannot upload OmniGraffle files (.graffle) and there doesn\'t seem to be an IANA MIME type that can be used and added via the length addition to the mime.types file within the OpenKM.ear file.

I have had the same problem on sites like ProjectPath and always have to result to putting the file(s) in a ZIP file (which is a pain).

Without this issue I\'d probably have been using OpenKM weeks ago!
 #325  by pavila

I will think about this. Thanks for the feedback!
 #335  by pavila

I\'ve thinking about this enhancement... I need the file MIME type because the application have to send it to he browser so It can open the file with the right application. If I allow submit files of any type, I can\'t get its MIME type. So, there is a problem with this enhancement.
 #564  by zxlllk

Is it possible to just set the MIME type to plain text or some other generic type if the file type is unknown? This would at least allow users to upload the file even if they could not view it without downloading it.
 #565  by pavila

Some source code changes are needed for this feature. I\'ll think about this behaviour for the next release.
 #1129  by Whynot

Was checking to make sure the feature of adding files types easily was added in the new features section. I have been having extreme difficulty with adding extensions to the mime.types file because it actually does not exist unless the server is running. Then the real tricky part is that when you shutdown the server the mime.type file deletes automatically. Makes it really hard to update the file as the FAQ suggests if it keeps deleting. As zxlllk stated...cannot some default type be used that OpenKM understands as a file not associated with an application. Its not a big deal if a user has to download and open. Zipping all my stuff is a pain and another trick I have been using is just adding .txt to the end of some files. Guess what, they don\'t open properly that way either...but at least I can upload/download the file. Some other DMS applications allow any file type with no issues.
 #1136  by jllort

Hello Whynot,

We\'re agree about mime-type actual system is so quite tedios and needs some re-enginering to solve end user problems settings.

But we don\'t think like other DMS enbles that uploading any file type if a good idea, as you can control file size ( for a bad DMS usage ) on the same way we think is a good idea to control (mime type ) basically to prevent a bad end user usage of a DMS, charging for example with videos or other stuff that really on your DMS are not good ( obviously for some one like designers , and publishers are fine ).

An issue that could not be seen as OpenKM 4.0 it\'ll be enabling end user quotes ( not enabled by default ) one of the major problems on any DMS is the administrator control of what\'s happening on it systems and it\'s one of our major priorities that since version 4.0 it\'ll not seen ( like the parallel archivator repository other enhancement that it\'ll be very useful when your system grows after some years). On this way we continue thinking mime-type control is so necessary as max document document.

Althought it I\'m agree about now is so tedious and an obfuscate way to do it. We\'ll correct.
 #1239  by blandobardo

I agree that it should be possible to easily import unknown filetypes even if indexing is not still supported.
I was able to add some filetypes but going so deep in the openkm structure to find the configuration fiel for this is quite annoying!

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.