• Where are the files stored?

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #237  by robertmarkbram

Hi All,

In this post about database structure, jllort says:
The OpenKM by default is configured to store documents and structure on file system ( althought it can be configured to store on database, by default we\'ve configured as the most simply way ).
My questions:
- where are the file stored on Windows by default?
- how do I change this location?

Thanks!

Rob
:)
 #240  by jllort

First think you must considerer, you can\'t change on file repository location, if at start you configure repository.xml to attach file system repository it\'ll be created on file system or DBMS if you decide to this direction.

First time OpenKM starts repository is created to change after from file system to database you need to apply a migration process, be conscient about it ( or between different databases ).

On file system the filesystem structure is created under %Jboss_home%/repository ( you must backup all this directory for recovery purposes ).

/repository directory is structured on
/repository/repository ( there\'s description of repository structure )
/repository/version ( blob files )
/repository/workspaces ( blob files )

To change the location must change repository.xml configuration.

Here are some forum entries that can help you:
MySQL Configuration and Ayuda con PostgreSQL( spanish )

We\'ve made some test and we suggest the best configuration is blobs on filesystem and repository nodes structure on database, that\'s the optim way to configure OpenKM.
 #245  by robertmarkbram

Thanks Jllort

1)
I misunderstood what was this meant:
OpenKM by default is configured to store documents and structure on file system
You mean that the files are stored in binary format (blobs), not as \'clear\' files. I.e. I add \"1.jpg\" to the repository and I won\'t be able to see \"1.jpg\" anywhere - it is in some blob instead.

2)
So I use this part of the repository.xml to control where the files are stored. I can now store the files on some separate NAS right?

<FileSystem class=\"org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem\">
<param name=\"path\" value=\"${rep.home}/repository\"/>
</FileSystem>

Rob
:)
 #248  by jllort

1- You\'ll not find on your file system a file called 1.jpg or other name like you uploaded to OpenKM. The information is saved on other names and structure file, you\'ll not find any correspondence with original name ( it\'s a jackrabbit internal implementation to save it ).

2- About NAS storage I think could be easilly done. Before first time starting openkm simply map ( mount) NAS on $JBOSS_HOME/repository, when starting OpenKM it save all files there.

Why you want this kind of configuration.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.