• Add New file types - Version 2.0

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #1112  by Whynot

OK...installed fine and works great but.... there is always a but..lol

Attempted to add new file types. Following the FAQ instruction were a little off. the MIME.TYPES file does not exist in the path indicated. No big deal so I simply searched for the file. I added my file type, again no big deal and made sure an icon existed. All a very simple procedure.... or so I thought. Went to upload the file and received unsupported format. Double checked I had made the entries and saved and I did. Figured hey...maybe I need to restart openkm so I did. Attempted to upload a file...not supported...weird. Went back to MIME.TYPES and my entries no longer existed and I know they were there. So like a good little robot I re-entered all the info and restarted. Again, file type not supported and upon checking the MIME.TYPE file guess what...my entries agian had disapeared. Completed this process 2 more times...same results. No I know I wasn\'t dreamiing after 4 attempts. Does the FAQ only support version 1.2 because the MIME.TYPE file seems to be created when the application is started. Tell me I am not crazy..lol If I can get none supported files to work I have alot of uses for this little gem. Also of note, other document management systems do not block a file based on its type. Is there a particular reason for this. If so..adding file types should be as simple as login in as admin (system) and adding and not mucking about files and hoping you get the syntax correct.

Great app...hope I can get the file types to work. Is there a way to add a wildcard so it simply includes ANY file type. Would make things simpler for me.

Thx
Mark
 #1120  by pavila

Yes, it is a known bug. The mime.type file should be in the place shown in the FAQ. The next OpenKM version will fix this bug. The FAQ is newer than the program version :)

We want to change this behaviour but, in this new version is dedicated to Workflow, Dashboard, and some other improvements.
 #1123  by Whynot

The mime.types file only exists after the server has been started and is at this location C:\\OpenKM-2.0_JBoss-4.2.2.GA\\server\\default\\tmp\\deploy\\tmp65547OpenKM.ear-contents\\OpenKM-exp.war\\WEB-INF\\classes\\es\\git\\openkm\\core

When you shutdown the server the mime file deletes. I even set a delete deny on the file for administrators, system and the file still deletes after you shutdown the server. Mime.Types is being created when the server is started so it must be polling the data from another source on startup. If the startup data could be updated then this problem might be resolved.

Any help is appreciated because I much prefer to use openkm over some of the other DMS\'s that came in second place in my books.

Cheers
Mark
 #1128  by Whynot

Can this problem be resolved????

You say the next version may contain the fix. Is that 6 month, 1 year down the road?
I actually require a DMS now to resolve a document problem for one of my clients. If there is no fix or current timeline to correct this problem I will have to go with Epiware but the simplicity of OpenKM is what I want.
 #1135  by jllort

You must not modify the tmp ( temporary jboss directory ) because as you say every time you shutdown server is deleted. You must edit OpenKM.ear file ( into you\'ll find OpenKM.war ) and on OpenKM.war directory structure is file what you need to change ( if you\'ve on windows open OpenKM.ear with winrar program - it\'s better ). When jboss starts explode OpenKM.ear file structure on tmp directory.

On next OpenKM we\'ll exploded OpenKM.ear into jboss directory to do it operation more easy ( and not needed to openkm compressed files ) and could navigate among directories / files structure .

We\'ll be thinking about your problem on mime-types, actually exist a direct relation about mime-type and icons on OpenKM, for serveral reasons (usability, not enabling to uploading any mime-type file ). I\'m thinking more on a direction about enabling any mime-type option on paral.lel about continue defining as now to maintaining icon correspondence to a specific mime-type.
 #1138  by pavila

There is OpenKM Professional version which has enhanced support.
 #1155  by pavila

OpenKM 3.0 will support any type of file by default.
 #1173  by Whynot

Well I have it all working now. Knowing that openkm.ear is a compressed file made all the difference. NOw I love the app.... :)

Cheers for a nice, easy, simple way of dealing with documents and files with a cosmetically pleasing and intuitive interface. I am sure Version 3.0 will be much better.

Thx
Mark

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.