• never installed database before help!

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #22  by peter

hi i\'m peter,

i am following an it studie at skool. i need to instal openkm for a project. i have downloaded OpenKM-1.2_JBoss-4.0.3SP1.tar.gz and extracted it to c:\\

i have now idea how to go from here to getting a working document management system. please can somebody take the time and help!

i have tested that jboss works by going to localhost:8080 where i get the jboss creen showing that it works. i did manage to setup the system variables needed

i realy need some help to setup openKM. i realy appreciate any help you can give thanx.

p.s.
i have read the manual!!!;) ;)
 #23  by jllort

If I understand well, you\'ve started successfully OpenKM service. ?

First what we must do, is understand what you want to do with OpenKM or any DMS, which is your primary objective, do someking with installation for testing or plannig a production environment? you want to investigate source code, etc... an make some enhancements ?

Be as much explicit as you can, about what are you looking for the use of OpenKM and we can tell you might do.

For example on a production the best configuration is a mixed one between database and file storage system configuration, really OpenKM does not becomes configured to it, but on major cases is not needed.

If you\'re planning a production environment, first questions must be, how much users, the expected document size ( year ), and roles. Do you want a login access integrated with some existing one, or OpenKM managed users ( the default an easiest configuration ). This it\'ll define which king of hardare you need ( for normal installation a normal PC, really OpenKM consumes a few hardware resources ).

We\'re happy you read documentation, specially installation guide covers several examples how OpenKM can be configured.
 #24  by peter

first off all thanx for taking the time to read and reply to my question.

i saw the demmo on the openkm site and realy that is what i want to accomplish.

i want to have a single place where about 10 to 15 people can place documents. i also want to have the documents in a \'per project\' layout so every project has a different folder to place the documents.

the document repository wil have important documents so i would like to be able to have revisions of the documents (maybe it is neccicery to have login so as to see who has made a revision!)

i have no real prefference for a database (sql server, mysql, acces or filesystem) but maybe you can give advise on this as wel.

i expect about 10 project per year and housing maybe 20 to 50 documents per project so nothing realy big.

most important is: support for MSOffice docs and pdf, ability to search not only for document but also IN documents, reliability (revisions, complete backups) and easy to use (for the users lol not for me ;) )

i must admit when i saw the demo site i was very impressed and i hope that it will not be to difficult to set up something like it.

anyway thanx for any help you could give.
Peter
 #25  by jllort

For what you\'re telling us, you need a basic installation, your expected file repository size is not very big.

On your case we recommend:

1- Harware-> A PC, due core with 1GB ram, 80-120GB hard disk SATA ( really hard disk is what will has the biggest work ), and if you want better performance a Linux, you can use Windows too, OpenKM runs OK on Windows but for stability we recommend always any Linux distribution ( Ubuntu for example ).

2- On your case we don\'t recommend to optimize OpenKM with mixed file system and database configuration, you\'ll not note differences between this configurations with this estimated repository size ( on future always you can set mixed, with a simple migration process, but for starting in your case we don\'t recommed ).

3- About settint users configurations and roles, for 10-15 users I think the most easiest way to do it, is which openkm comes by default, file text file ( refer to admin guide section where\'s talking about user.properties and roles.properties ).

4- One important think, that normally administrator not made at starting is to set up correctly grants on root node.

We recomend you set up for example this roles:
GeneralRol
ManagerRol

(Remember that always users must have UserRol is a rol used by OpenKM that grant connection to repository, only connection it must not be used on other way)

One way to setup grant on root node could be this:
*root node
- ManagerRol -> Read/ Write permision ( can create folders )
- GeneralRol -> Only Read ( is not a good idea everyone can create folder on root, only some especific users ).
- Important UserRol must not be any grant on root ( because all users has it ).

The idea is users with ManagerRol write firs level folders, and other ( you must set permision by folder ) write into these.

5- About setting up, mail service notification, refer to FAQ http://www.openkm.com/FAQ.html if you don\'t understand well tell us.

6- About incrementing max file size of document upload refer to FAQ, too

7- About creating group properties the same that 5-6 ( it\'s well explained ) on your case really could not be necessary.

About OpenKM indexing files, on features web section you can see the content indexing suported files: http://www.openkm.com/Features.html

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINK TO ENSURE DO WELL -> BACKUP
You must ensure are doing well backups, for it we recommend you make a backup, and after it remove all OpenKM installation, and do a clean one with your backup, this practice will ensure you\'re doing backup correctly. Refer to admin guide how to made backups.

Try this roadmap installation, sequentially, and if you\'ve got some problem on process tell us.
 #26  by peter

i am sorry about my stuppidness but the main problem i have is how to stratup opemKM. i am sure that configuring it is not going to be a big problem thanx to your explaination in the previous reply.

i realy woul like some help (step for step) on how after downloading the openKM & Jboss pakkage i run openkm.

what i have done so far:

downloaded the openkm & jboss pakkage
extracted pakkage to c:\\website
set Jboss system variables

i do not know what to do from here? how do i start openkm
i bet you are laughing about how stupid i am:blush: but i realy would like to use this application so i am willing to put up with the embarrisment ;)
 #27  by jllort

We\'re preparing a wiki with a quick installation guide and all documentation, you\'ll meanwhile, here there\'s something about quick installation on windows:

PASS 1- Install Java JDK 1.5

Go to the Sun download site (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp) and select the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 14. When file has been downloaded, execute it and you’ll install Java on your system with the application wizard.
Install OpenKM

PASS 2- Download OpenKM 1.2 from SourceForge and uncompress on your file system disk (a good option is to uncompress on “c:\\” ). If you experiment some problems uncompressing OpenKM-1.2_JBoss-4.0.3SP1.tar.gz, try to install WinRAR application to uncompress it.

PASS 3- First login

* Execute the file c:\\OpenKM-1.2_JBoss-4.0.3SP1\\bin\\run.bat to run OpenKM + JBoss application server.
* Open on a client browser the url http://localhost:8080/OpenKM/.
* Autenticate to OpenKM using user:user1 with password: pass1.
 #28  by peter

hi thanx for the quick responce!

i finaly found the problem why i coul not get openkm to work for me.

this is what i typed into the browser: http://localhost:8080/openkm
what i shloud have typed was: http://localhost:8080/OpenKM/

i cannot believe the stupidity of my mistake but i am glad YOU have solved it for me!

i am now going to try out openkm and hopefully i will be able to get your help again when i need it

thank you (for now:dry: )
 #29  by jllort

Yes the context OpenKM is case sensitive on jboss, you must type exactly.

Don\'t worry.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.