• Problem viewing many PDF's in one folder

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #15413  by Alexires

Hi All,

I'm attempting to upload a lot of pdf's (30,000) in one folder so that the files can be sorted manually and moved to other folders. The repository import works fine, but when I go to open the folder in taxonomy, the screen hangs at "Updating Document List". I understand I have an enormous amount of files, but unfortunately, that is the way it is and changing them manually before repository import would be too big a job. Is there a way I can change the time out time, or get OpenKM to display whatever files it has loaded while it loads the others, or something like that?

I can view all the files in the "Repository View" part of the Administration panel, and that only takes a couple of seconds to load, so it sounds like OpenKM is trying to interact with the files in some way (such as loading OCR text, or something).

Any ideas?

Edit: Actually, it does display, it just takes a very long time to load. This is now a much less critical problem for me. If you want to look into it, go ahead, but if you are too busy, then that is fine too; feel free to close this thread.
 #15430  by jllort

Take in consideration displaying 30.000 files into a browser, althought be a table is so much rendering, good taxonomy is having 100 files or something more, with more than 1000 docs per folder you will degradate perfomance ( take in consideration UI has behind javascript that for example allows to ordering files, think in ordering 30000 with javascript).

I think you should ordering in folders outside openkm and then import in proper structure, that's the idea, not uploading all files in one folder and then ordering ... that's not good idea. You could try use webdav with openkm as a network resource too - take a look here http://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/WebDAV_access- ( windows explore view ) and then move files.
 #15448  by Alexires

I've divided the files up into about 3000 file lots, which displays in a reasonable timeframe. I've tried Webdav in the past, but it was a pain. Maybe I'll have to consider it again...
 #15459  by pavila

WebDAV in OpenKM Professinal has some improvement over the Community version, but the problem in your case is the web frontend due to Javascript and browser render speed. In general I don't recommend to store more than 500 documents per folder. If you have more then 500 document, try to divide them in folder by date, for example.

If anyway you persist in the idea of placing 1000 docs in the same folder, try with Firefox 12 or Google Chrome which is faster than other browsers.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.