• How to disable PDF download function in preview window??

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #52888  by BenjaminSu

Hi
I installed OpenKM Community Version 6.3.2 (Build 8289) and Open Office 4.1.10 in Windows 10.
Now I had updated the Open KM to Version 6.3.9 and still found one issue as below.
I had disabled the download and dowload PDF function for menu and toolbar in user's Profiles.
However, I need to provide preview function for user. And therefore, user could still download the document by PDF foramt in preview winodow.
Does someone know hwo to disable PDF download function in preview window?

Thanks a lot
 #52896  by jllort

I suggest to upgrade to version 6.3.11

It is not possible to disable this function. It will be a large explanation about how to protect documents from preview what usually is what you are looking for. Basically, I suggest 2 options:
1- stamp documents in preview ( with the name of the user and date )
2- preview each page as images ( this feature is only available from professional edition )

Consider when previewing something in the browser is because you are locally downloading ( nothing that you preview will not be a local download ) -> it means with browser addins is quite easy to download files -> forget the idea to protect in this manner -> the best and realistic option is to mark the document or change the format ( all the other directions are wrong if you are looking for protection because with browser addins a regular use can quickly download everything )
 #52899  by BenjaminSu

Thank you jillort. Regarding to your suggested 2 options, do Community version support the functions? (I had checked the comparision of versions and found that it seems that Community version can't support Stamp and watermark images.)

Thanks
 #52996  by stiebs

I won't disagree with what jllort has already stated - simply disabling the download button does not stop a user from downloading the PDF - it just makes it more difficult.

If all that you want to do is make it more difficult, then there is a small edit you can make in the PDFjs code:

Edit tomcat-x.xx.xx/webapps/OpenKM/preview/pdfjs/viewer.css and add the following code:
Code: Select all
.download
{
    display:none !important;    
}

.print
{
    display:none !important;
}
This will hide the download and the print icons, but an astute user will be able to find their way around it.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.