• Building OpenKM 3.0 from source

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #2350  by madmax79

hi,

i\'m trying to build openKM from source, but it does not work. the files xdoclet-build.xml, build.xml and packaging-build.xml referenced in build.sh are not available from CVS repository. the files are explicitly marked in .cvsignore. but why? any ideas?

thx,
 #2352  by jllort

We don\'t use build.sh, probably is an older file or for some testing by us, not required for developing.

Have you read the developer guide under documentation ?
 #2358  by madmax79

thx, yes i\'ve read the dev guide. there i can find a screen which shows xdoclet running to generate the web descriptor stuff and the ejb facility stuff for AuthModule. the file which is shown is xodclet-build.xml.

my workaround is to introduce maven for dependency mgmt. and also to split up the hole project to a clean module structure.
--openkm
-ear/pom.xml
-ejb/pom.xml
-war/pom.xml

i\'m currently interested in your ejb-layer - which i is not finished yet ;) - and built my own web client on top of it. want to reuse your service-layer.

regards [file name=openkm-f306278452e0c98f7a654d8afec80f9c.zip size=3438]http://www.openkm.com/images/fbfiles/fi ... c80f9c.zip[/file]
 #2362  by pavila

Interesting... I was thinking on use maven for OpenKM because this simplifies a lot the compiling / building process. I will try these poms.

Respect EJB layer, it was an initial architecture requirement but never required by anybody. This is a simple interface which make OpenKM API calls. I you wan to implement these the complete API your are wellcome with the contribution.
 #2363  by madmax79

i\'ve started with AuthModule and BookmarkModule building the ejb stuff around. please have a look to the patch. i introduce ejb3 annotations as your webservices already use them. so i can get rid of the xdoclet stuff in service layer and therefore removing complexity in the buildsystem. maybe one day openKM could use only
one technology for meta programming (annotations)

regards, [file name=patch.zip size=3790]http://www.openkm.com/images/fbfiles/files/patch.zip[/file]
 #2365  by pavila

Great, we included partial annotations in OpenKM 3.0 source code and I hope to extend to the whole source in the next release. I will add your contributions to the project shortly.
 #2366  by pavila

I have applied your patch and this error is thrown
Code: Select all
Caused by: org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactNotFoundException:
 Unable to download the artifact from any repository

es.git:openkm-base:pom:3.0-SNAPSHOT
when I to run maven:
Code: Select all
~/workspace/openkm$ mvn
 #2424  by affeval1

Made a fresh checkout today to build the source, and am following the developer\'s guide to get it built.

But the xdoclet build is still needed. BTW, today is my first day with OpenKM.. So appreciate any advice on the build steps for the project that applied currently.
 #2427  by madmax79

sorry, the patch requires the directory structure which i had described before. something like
openKM
-pom.xml --> the error states that this pom.xml is missing :(
-war/pom.xml
-ear/pom.xml
-ejb/pom.xml

but you can live without them, easily remove the <parent> pom entry from the pom.xml of the patch and run again.
 #2428  by affeval1

Please stabilize the build steps and update the developers guide after ejb2 --> ejb3 migration and ant --> maven2 migration...

As of now, the Developer\'s Guide is useless when it comes to xdoclet stuff..

thanks in advance for whoever stabilize the build.
 #2429  by madmax79

i would do, but i cannot commit the mvn2 stuff :(

furthermore, we currently work on removing the jboss hard coded stuff in the ejb layer to get openKM deployed on other application servers. we\'re unhappy with this situation, cause we have to work on our own branch of version 3.0. so we have to resync with openKM trunk someday :(
 #2443  by pavila

You can send me a fully functional patch and I can apply to the CVS code. The previous uploaded patch had problems with the mvn stuff. Or send DETAILED instructions on how to add mvn support to OpenKM and source code / structure changes.

We can not give write permissions to everybody or the repository can be damaged. If you become a good project contributor, we can give you write permissions some day.
 #2494  by Gbas

last week mybasket.de seems down, another site to download the patch ?

Thanks

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.