• Version Compare

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #9045  by is99

How about an option to see compare between different versions of the same document?
For example today in SVN I can compare even Word documents
 #9078  by jllort

I've added in our tracking system, it's really interesting and consider it's included in our roadmap.

You can take a look here http://issues.openkm.com/view.php?id=1558

Question, how do think must be presented to user the document comparation and which kind of document consider,might be compared ( microsoft and openoffice, text or more )
 #9112  by is99

I think that the best way to do it will be like most of the program do - split the view windows to two and show old and new version and the changed text marked.
SVN, Word and many other programs I know does it the same way. I know that some programs that can't show compare at least open the correct program, for example when I try to compare two Word documents in SVN it opens Word on my PC with these two documents in compare more. I sow this post that may help:
Code: Select all
I simply use the TortoiseSVN diff scripts for this purpose. These are just .js-files, which support some formats (doc/docx, for instance) and open them, turning the application (MS Word) into compare mode. The syntax is pretty clear:
>diff-doc.js file1.doc file2.doc
About the documents type - the more the better, most important is Office documents I think.
 #9127  by pavila

But OpenKM is a web application and can't open a Word instance in the client... at least without some ActiveX or Applet work. Any idea?
 #9128  by is99

OpenKM does have pulgins for Office, I for example don't care to have ActiveX or software or anything else that I will need to install as long as I will earn Word comparing

For Simple TXT file comparing I guess it can be done without any program in the standard preview windows of OpenKM
 #9204  by pavila

Yes, simple TXT comparison is easy. Office or OpenOffice file comparison is more complex. In any case ideas or source code are welcome.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.