• Error when communicating with server (mergePdf)

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #54665  by joez34

Hi!

I have been using openkm for a couple years as my personal document storage solution. Recently I attempted to merge some PDF files and was greeted with an error "Error when communicating with server (mergePdf)" I'm not sure what changed as this was working fine. The only thing I could think of is Windows updates?

Running on Server 2019
Office 2016 is installed on the server as well

Any insight on how to resolve the merge pdf issue would be appreciated.

Thank you
Joe
 #54666  by joez34

I figured this out, just wanted to post my answer.

The documents were bank statements and are apparently password protected against merge function. I can only assume this is how the bank maintains the integrity of the documents. (Documents are NOT password protected for open or print)

Sorry for the trouble.

Thank you,
Joe
 #54672  by jllort

You are right, the protected PDF files are locked and can not update them. A solution for this scenario - I do not suggest it - is printing the file as PDF, sometimes print is not password protected, not always -> with it you will get a PDF without password and then you can manipulate it ... the problem is when you printing the document as PDF you may lost relevant information and finally -> if the document is locked it is locked for some reason

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.