• Email .msg file import corruption

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #48046  by chrwei

I have several msg files exported from outlook that the message body is corrupted when added to 6.3.7. opening the msg file in outlook shows a plain text email with a few attachments. when I save the added file out of openkm it's an eml file, and that opens as an html email. the readable text from the msg file gets turned into non-printable characters in the openkm preview and the eml file.

additionally, if I use OKMRest 1.2.2 .net SDK's importMsg method the files added corrupt as with the interface, but I get an exception too: $exception {"MailImpl (importMsg)\n'\u0003', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 410.\n\ncom.openkm.sdk4csharp.exception.UnknowException: '\u0003', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 410.\r\n at com.openkm.sdk4csharp.impl.MailImpl.importMsg(String dstId, String title, FileStream fileStream)"} com.openkm.sdk4csharp.exception.OKMRestException

search results on this error lead to a possible XML conversion issue, like that 0x03 needs to be escaped but isn't

I was able to find the original raw SMTP message in my mail archives, headers mark it as:
Code: Select all
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
        boundary="Apple-Mail-E819C806-3C10-4266-AB6B-491067E0E843"
text body part is
--Apple-Mail-E819C806-3C10-4266-AB6B-491067E0E843
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Adjunto fotos como evidencia del rechazo

followed by a base64 image part, another plain text 7bit part that's just a couple newlines (what the hell apple), then another base64 image, and another plain text 7bit part that's a signature
--Apple-Mail-E819C806-3C10-4266-AB6B-491067E0E843
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Enviado desde mi iPhone
all the msg files that I'm seeing issues with are spanish language, but so far I'm not seeing accented characters or anything in the original files that would explain a 0x03 character. any ideas how to go about making this work?
 #48057  by jllort

You are exporting msg from outlook and then you upload to OpenKM?
Before talking to export, the email from OpenKM is shown right?
 #48079  by chrwei

yes, export from outlook via drag and drop email to a windows explorer folder. it shows right in outlook, and shows right in the .msg file, but once uploaded into openkm it no longer shows correctly.
 #48167  by chrwei

contact form sent, but it doens't allow URLs, so I put "OpenKM English Users-> Usage-> Email .msg file import corruption"
 #48203  by jllort

Sorry, but at the end of the day I talk with a lot of persons and here I think we have had some miss understanding. I had not received the file, usually when somebody contact with something about the forum I ask him to share the URL of the forum post to do not lose the focus ( seems I forget to explain it ). I will send my private email address from a private message in the forum. Contact me directly and share the URL of this post. Apologies.

When I have all the data I will sure know if it is a problem with community, your mail, or some extra feature what we have in professional edition an is not currently present in the community. Mario Contacted me, but I do not being able to link the questions with this previous forum post, it is not his fault, apologies.
 #49660  by jllort

If you have an issue related with email import I suggest open an issue here https://github.com/openkm/document-management-system, try to explain exactly the steps to reproduce the issue and if it is possible we need some sample to reproduce in our development environment. If this is a non-public email we will find a way you share us.
 #49664  by chrwei

my specific issue didn't get resolved, and the project has been delayed so I haven't worked on it or tested a newer okm release, if any happened, in more than 6 months. my work around was to import it as not an email. my primary use was to be through the API so dealing with it in my client program was my plan.
 #49703  by jllort

If you do not share some sample email to reproduce the issue we can not solve it. Before sending us the sample email check in the latest version, because maybe there the issue is solved

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.