• Problems trying to deploy another app's WAR alongside OpenKM

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #47535  by mosagepa

Hi there folks.

I have OpenKM 6.3.7-DEV successfully deployed within the Tomcat in the "pack" Tomcat+OpenKM.

I need to deploy alongside OpenKM, another WebApp which is basically a 'Dynamic Web Application' facet-based Eclipse project which among other things in app (console) mode, brings out an index.jsp with among other things a link to the http://localhost:8080/OpenKM url and also to the http://localhost:8080/OpenKM/services URL.

The problem is, that by default this Eclipse project does offer the option to deploy this APP with the currently running Tomcat contained (which is holding the OpenKM instance), but of course you'd need to use a different port to do that.

In Tomcat manager I am able to see the deployed APP and apparently is running but the URL http://localhost:8080/theAPP/ which should display the index.jsp is not working it says "resource not available". Neither clicking on this app's name within Tomcat Manager works neither.

I've tried of course things like, e.g. manually copying the .WAR and the folder same name as APP under the Webapps folder within the Tomcat folder (remember this is the Tomcat pre-configured and provided WITH OpenKM, and recommended setup).

I know for sure, if the OpenKM-bundled is stopped and I run this second APP EITHER with the bundled Tomcat OR with another locally installed Tomcat (v9.0 for example) it runs smoothly, deploys normally and shows the index JSP, but then of course the URLs do not work because OpenKM is not running.

I can't find a way for this APP to coexist running wiht the running OpenKM. How can I do that?

Please note that, when OpenKM is stopped and I try to deploy APP, even with the Tomcat preconfigured for OpenKM; it DOES NOT runs OpenKM, just the APP. Both together I cannot get, why?

Maybe I'm missing something. Any advice or help will be appreciated, thank you.
 #47550  by jllort

Probably there's some conflict with libraries between the two war files. The problems should be shown in the log file. I suggest start tomcat with OpenKM and later copy the additional war file into webapps. Take a look in the log of the server what is show ( in this case might be catalina.out will be the most ilustrative log file for it ). Should be shown some error.
 #47624  by mosagepa

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've tried doing that.

It seems to me, that the "embedded" Tomcat with OpenKM (with v6.3.7-DEV anyway) is old 7.0.53 if I remember correctly.

Whereas some of the WARs I intend to deploy, they depend on more up to date versions of e.g. Spring Framework or such. I've noticed also difficulties when enabling several logging bindings.

Does anybody know of a hands-on procedure for deploying OpenKM (6.3) on a more up to date version of Tomcat (say, 9.0)? All of my WARs deploy without problem over that version, so I guess forcing them to coexist with OpenKM over Tomcat 7.x makes no sense. I'd rather (re)configure OpenKM to raise itself upon Tomcat v9.

Maybe there's a thread out somewhere in the forum explaining how to "migrate" the OpenKM 6.3 to another Tomcat, not the "provided" one.

Any further help will be appreciated.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.