• Preview not working

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #44183  by VincentVega

Dear All,
I got OpenKM 6.3.4 CE installed on an Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS machine. Everything seems working fine,
but I can't preview PDF or open office documents. I have read through the forums and it seems that for
some reasons there are some services not starting.
As suggested elsewhere I checked if I have soffice on this path /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/ and yes,
it is there together with many others.
I suppose this is something very easy for those who know how to do it, but I don't.
I don't know where to start, any suggestions?
Regards,
VV
 #44188  by VincentVega

Now I figured it out! Everything installed properly and the services worked fine as well, but the community edition
requires Adobe Flash Player to work which in the case of Opera needs a special installation and activation.
After installing AFP and configuring Opera correctly the preview started to work just fine.
I was confused because at work AFP is not needed, but then I read that the professional version uses a different
way of rendering the preview.
So, I decided to write this here in case somebody else is confused as I was.
Regards,
VV
 #44198  by jllort

You are in truth. Preview is based in flowpaper ( older flexpaper ) and we can not include by licensing reasons the licensed version what comes into OpenKM. Unfortunately now flowpaper only offers community version in flash player mode. The only improvement we have thought might be done and have sense is to applying changes in source code for what user who will be interested in buying a license of flowpaper.
 #44533  by alexkcy

May be out of topics, flash is dying (adobe is stopping support in near future too), is there any plan to change ?
 #44538  by jllort

Did you know any preview tool like flowpaper ( previsouly was named flexpaper ) what allow previewing PDF document with HTML5 ? because this is the point, flowpaper only allows flash for community version ( in professional we have a licensed version what allows HTML5 preview, but we can not release it to the community version for license restrictions ). We are open for suggestions about it.
 #44543  by alexkcy

If I could find anything like that, openkm community will be the first one to be informed ^^

have done some google, how about this:

http://viewerjs.org/

There have been some time I didn't do web development (and never do node.js development), will try in the near future.

Alex
 #44546  by jllort

Seems promising, do you want to work with us with the integration of this viewer into community version ?
I can give you the clues - classes - involved with the previsualization ? Really the logic is ... we try to convert everything to PDF and then we preview it, in almost cases this is the logic.

If you can not work on it, open an issue in our github project https://github.com/openkm/document-management-system with this previewer and we'll try to investigate it.
 #44549  by alexkcy

I have not been writing codes for more than 10 years (even I was, I develop linux device drivers) and believe that I can't help much. Anyway will do little experiment for java / node.js hybrid later.

Sure will open an issue after reviewing more previewing tools.
 #44557  by jllort

Pleaes, open the issue and we'll take a look on it.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.