• Feature ideas

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #400  by alexfisher

- Multiple file selection for upload

- Ability to assign keywords/tags at upload time

- Add/edit users and logins from GUI

- Pre-determine sets of keywords / a keyword grammar to ensure consistent keyword use across different files

These are just some of my ideas right now. Still not sure if OpenKM is the right choice for us, but it seems like a great start to a great document management system. Not a whole lot better out there.
 #404  by jllort

- Multiple file selection for upload
We\'ve been thinking on uploading varios files at the same time, but we had consider this option unnecessary because you can upload zip files and unzip them on openkm. We\'re working more on the way to set an applet to upload from end user desktop to openkm directly.

- Add/edit users and logins from GUI
It\'s done on OpenKM professional edition (after this release, the next community it\'ll include it and professional it\'ll have some enhacement that community it\'ll not be ).

- Pre-determine sets of keywords / a keyword grammar to ensure consistent keyword use across different files
It\'s covered on group properties, by select ( that\'s useful is list are not soo large ). In this case could be useful some dictionary ( you\'re thinking on this way ? a input o textare where only are enabled to typewriting some keywords predefined )

- Ability to assign keywords/tags at upload time
Do it on upload time could be possible, but complex and it\'ll be needed some reflexion about it.
I think you\'re thinking on a more usable way to set properties on most one file. To be capable to made several operations on more than one document at the same. Or properties on a folder, we\'ve been thinking on it.

Give us your impressions about it. The end user feeling for us is an important guideliness.

About OpenKM state of art, at 2007 we iniate the project with a roadmap since 2009. Each year we\'ve repect the general roadmap guide. Really at this time we have new ideas to do. At ends 2008 must be the Workflow, user quotes, and dashboard.
 #427  by alexfisher

- Zip files are the alternative we use right now for uploading unsupported file types (e.g. graffle files as I mentioned in an earlier post), but having multiple files in a zip file only adds additional steps to our process (not to mention doesn\'t allow versioning of the files within the zip by way of a document management system).

- I could only sell our org on the professional version after we get the free version working first. :-)

- It\'s confusing how to implement groups. It seems the GUI just asks for the path to a definitions file I don\'t know about. Not trying to be lazy here, but like user management, it\'s a pain switching between GUI in web browser and connecting to server via terminal to edit files in vi or nano.

- You\'re right, I just need an easy way to assign keywords to files than to cut-and-paste keyword strings into a field for each file.

--

Yes, this is a really cool product and I\'m only being critical in the sense that I like what I see and am interested in helping you guys know what helps me best as an end user. Thanks for the dialog.
 #430  by jllort

I think you don\'t understand me about zip files. You can uplaod a zip file an at the same time OpenKM unzips all content on destination ( ON uploading windows you must select \"import documents\" to activate this option, probably the name is not good ).

About groups, the answer is yes. We\'ve decided on future version to make more usable the property groups definition. If you want to try take a look at this post

I\'ll put on our tracking system to thinking the way to select several files and make some options with all, it\'s an UI problem and We want to think carefully. It could not be possible at this release, but we\'ll try to do something for the next ( because as you say it\'s necessary, an increments the end user usability -> one of our major objectives, the good user feel with the UI ).

Don\'t worry we\'re critical with ourselfs too. Thanks for your impressions.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.