• Preventing wrong files from being checked in

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #1861  by alloydog

Is there any way to prevent wrong files from being checked in?

While testing OpenKM, a text file was checked out, but the wrong file, in this case a PDF file, was checked back in. The displayed file name was still the same as the original and the problem wasn\'t noticed until the file was opened. It appeared the file had been corrupted, until I noticed the first line read \"%PDF-1.3\".

To check the file, I open it with Adobe Reader, which open OK, displaying the PDF.
After that, opening a text file (*.txt) caused the default file handler to be Adobe Reader, rather than Notepad.

Any ideas?
 #2310  by Able Archer

I like the open KM project very much, but this issue would hold me back from deploying it in our company.

In my opinion it would be better to check out the doc\'s to a dedicated location, in stead of the internet browser download folder

e.g. C:\\okm\\checkedout

This prevents the user from clustering their files all over their system.

When the user checks in the doc, then openKm looks for the file from that location.

Add option for user: \'check in as new version\' --> this would allow the user to check in the doc with another filename, also updating the filename in oKM desktop. Then make some treestructure behind the doc, where you can view the previous versions from that doc.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.