• Extend documentation typology and manage physical folders...

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #11918  by gelinp

Hi,

It looks information management by OpenKM is too much technical. What I mean is that end user need to manage information at documentation level. I.e. I need to type documents with specific documentation vocabulary. At this time OpenKM display 3 documents types into reserch interface : Document, folder, mail. What End user need is to create more documentation type as thesis, report, draft (may be a property of 2nd level to each other document's type), bibliography, manuel, catalog, etc... This specific documentation typologie level help very much to manage document as list against hierarchy systems. By the way, it will allow to add specific physical paper management. Indeed, if you image a paper type, you can inculde specific fields into this metadata to manage physical location into racks... This is a very important and urgent new feature : manage physical papers. I would like to emphisize that it's not always possible to scan all papers, and it's not the same way to manage automatically scans or to manage manually papers. Personnaly, I can't use only electronic document and I need to manage physical folders and papers.

Thank you for OpenKM team.
 #11943  by jllort

we've got on mind implementing record management, that will be able to configure this kind of information you need, it'll be available at new release ( upper than 5.1.x ). About phisical folders, I don't understand exactly what you've got in mind ... could you explain with some example ?
 #11949  by gelinp

yes. The problem is that I've got a lot of paper into folder (paperboard). So, like Records Managment I need to organise this information and use openkm to look for information and navigate trhough this folder and papers. Records Management is not only the ability to manage paper and electronic files, but also to manage life cycle of information. What you could add in a first time is only a document's type to manage paper document. The only difference is that for electronic doc you upload the document into openkm database, and for paper document we need to manage a physical address (alphatical, time, conceptual or ideological file plan). By the way open will implement an electronic numbering machine, in order to put a unic number into the paper doc in order to identify exactly papers into the openkm database. Thius number need to be printed (manual writing) into the document. Without speaking life cycle management this is, I think, a first step to help people to manage paper documentation.

Patrick
 #12041  by gelinp

Do you mean the really closed next major version ? Could you please give us a roadmap and a "dead" line ?

Patrick
 #12114  by gelinp

ok, but please give a roadmap idea, I need it ! :( Byt he way way could you explain a little features to manage paper doc. In fact, you need only a new metadata field to add specific paper cotation, in order to look for the parper into cabinets ! It's a minimum but it's enough. OPenKM also have to accept a new doc type, without obligation to add numeric path or a link...
 #12131  by jllort

New major release is scheduled between ends December / January.

I don't understand what do you want to do with metadata, now you can define your own metadata groups, the problem is that you must register under folder or document ( that's why is need new object to store other kind of registers ).

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.