• OpenKm specification

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #15083  by sekulicd

Hi, I work for a company that develops software. I have been learning programming for couple of years. About year ago i started learning java intensively, and now I'm focused on J2EE. I found OpenKm very complex and interesting and i want to study it, maybe one day i can contribute and add some features. So, my question is can you tell me where can i found detailed specification, which describe project in detail, so i can study it.
I would be very grateful if you can help me.
 #15111  by sekulicd

I already configured development environment, but i need specification of project because there is 1000 java classes and,
for me it,s impossible to figure out purpose and connection of all classes, so if there is explanation of this project it would be
very helpful.
 #15128  by jllort

What do you want to do ?
 #15135  by sekulicd

I want to learn, first i want to import project into eclipse, than i want some specification from which i can see what is the purpose of classes,
XMLs etc., i don't know if i am clear but i am learning J2EE(servlet, jsp, java bean) so i want so i want to know how it is applied at this project.
 #15152  by sekulicd

Obviously you don't understand me, i read that and import project in eclipse, but i need specification about project, can you tell me where a i can find it or not ?
 #15184  by jllort

if you have minimal java skills you should understanding how the project is structured. Obviously we can not spend time, for example explaining maven, or the libraries used by OpenKM, how must be defined in java a GWT project or how to define Hibernate tables etc... any of this technologies by himself covers several books.

Majors users who has been involved in source code and us with other open source projects need some time to understanding the project structure, that can not be done with few hours, needs some time that you should spend with OpenKM like other java projects.

Really before starting browsing OpenKM you need to take some control in GWT ( Google web toolkit ), Hibernate, Jackrabbit and Maven.
 #15200  by sekulicd

I understand that this is huge project, and i didn't ask for explanations( i don't wont to waste your time),
i just ask if there is free documentation(like UML) or records from witch i could learn.
 #15210  by jllort

We have not this kind of information. Normally if someone want to help us in project, creating modules etc... we helping on it. To our partners we make something similar. Really the best way for learning something is doing it, and us we are involved in first stages of the customer projects or comunity developers, that's real best option for understanding OpenKM.

We will lose a lot of time doing this kind of documentation and then maintaining. Helping people directly is best option than others and most value, we try dedicate our effors in which parts we can see results, documentation is necessary but trying to explain some OpenKM aspects will be really complex to explain, better seeing, less time and best results.

Obviously we help our partners, customers and comunity people that wants to growing openkm source code with interesting features ( modules / extensions ) that can be shared freely or want some price for it ( there's no problem for us this kind of features, because we considering it's honest to get some money for great job ).

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.