• URL shortcuts in Taxonomy

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #7831  by DominiqueM

Sharing knowledge goes through sharing files and OpenKM is great for this. But in the Internet age, there is knowledge on the Web too and one could share URLs of interesting pages. (Say you would point to Web pages, not copy them as files.) There are different initiatives for online sharing of bookmarks, but then you have to use two systems: OpenKM for files and another for bookmarks. It would be interesting to be able to store and share Web bookmarks besides files in the same OpenKM folders.
There is a workaround: since OpenKM is made for files, make a file from the URL. With any file in OpenKM, the note editor allows to place a Web link in the note. So one may create an empty text file, or a text file with the text of the URL; then in a note, place the text of the URL again and make it a link.
This can be combined with URL .desktop files under most Linuxes or .url files under Windows, also with the link in the note. The user then has the choice either go to the URL directly from the note in OpenKM, or download the file and execute it as .desktop or .url on her computer. (The SaveLink extension helps create such files from links in Firefox.)
For the roadmap
1. Web links in a note should preferably open in a new window of the browser, to keep the OpenKM window in its present state.
2. A way to store and share URLs among files (more direct than the above) would be welcome. (Or does it already exist and I do not know it?)
 #7856  by jllort

In version 5.1 we're thinking add records as papers on some phisical ubication etc... what you purpose is adding external links ( now we've got folders, mails, and documents ), and you purpose a fourth kind that could be a url.

Althought we've not done - I've yet not found time to do it - there's the idea to capture some website page and upload to openkm, but that it'll be used for other purpose.

Among all this information we could fine some interesting way for doing something with url. As you propose .desktop and .url are SO ways to store URI, but I think in major case it'll more usefull to add directly to openkm from copy / paste directly from browser. And easy simply way for store could be using record, record it'll be a composition of (name / autor / date ) and will have associated several metadata ( the idea is into that metadata could be different information, for example ISBN for books or link for url ). Link type is yet available from metadata in version 5.0.

What do you think about that last option ?

I'm not sure about if record could have some type, really it'll be defined by which metadata has. Other interesting think we're finishing is wizard by filter ... when you upload document etc... appearing a wizard ( metadata, keyword etc... ) depending some rules defined in your system, for example folder or file type ( it'll be available on version 5.1. we're finishing now ). If record could have some type, then could be used by filtering ... it's something that we might think.

I'll be waiting your feedback.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.