• Full 3-tiered implementation

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #4855  by si_sol

I know that some part of OpenKM already in 3-tier architecture. I think it's a good idea to implement it in full 3-tiered architecture (probably in future release). What I mean is like this :

End Users <-----> Servlet <-----> EJB <------> Data Store

With this architecture, there are several advantage :
- Server can be fully separated into several layer (say servlet is deployed in tomcat or jboss, EJB deployed in other Jboss server). Zero day bug in web server (servlet) is not end of day for the whole system (bussiness logic is in other server).
- More scalable : every layer can be deployed in cluster, so more scalable, suitable for big OpenKM deployment
- Bussiness logic is not directly attackable by end user, it burried deep in the other server (technically shouldn't have network connection with end user, just with servlet application)
 #4880  by jllort

Really OpenKM is prepared to deploy in EJB ( really since version 2.0 was fully supported, now we could supporting with minor effors, but nobody has wanted for it), but major installations don't need it. We've got bad experiences with EJB consumes so high memory.

Really distributing DMS charge is thinked in other way - repository ( what you've writen as data store ) - repository cluster configuration is the key, jackrabbit cluster configuration in several hardware machines. In this scenario is not needed to distributing EJB, really you install several jboss and distribute the repository.

Soap webservices are used for connecting to thirdparty software.

Are you worried about security ?

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.