• Comments on folders

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #3489  by tdoty

Although being able to comment on files is useful, it would also be helpful to be able to comment on a folder. Just like there may be metadata about a file that should be recorded and kept with a file, there is the same need for folders.
 #3490  by pavila

Do you mean add a input field in the properties where users can add a comment or something like document notes?
 #3499  by jllort

It could be easilly implemented, but I'd like to know which use has for user ... which is the value for end user ? I can understand document notes, but on folders ?
 #5760  by thetester

When you have a lot of different kinds of documents and different people accessing the documents for different reasons -- for example, new employees in a certain department -- having notes on the folders helps end users decide where they should be filing their company documents.

The notes should be editable by the person who created the note. This is so they can update the purpose of the folder and any additional documents or explanations necessary. Also, if they happen to make a spelling error, or decide later that a note is no longer necessary, they should be able to edit or delete a note.
 #5795  by jllort

I think that's a good candidate to make a new OpenKM extension to version 5.0
 #5877  by pavila

So you want folder notes, like are in documents?
 #6316  by Dann

Notes on folders would provide extra information that the filenames themselves would not. It is more of an administration feature and therefore would apply to a smaller percentage of people who use OpenKM, but I work for a company that is strongly in favour of this feature.

If a folder is not readable by other users, having a note on the folder is a good way to explain contents without giving unnecessary access. It could also mention folders with related content or the person in charge of its contents (which may not be the creator(s) of the folder).

So yes, folder notes like document notes would be appreciated.
 #6325  by jllort

ok I'll put in our roadmap

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.