• Password encryption

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #2792  by dhmitchell

I\'m surprised that the DB stores the passwords as plain text and that the client passes the password to the server as plain text. Am I missing something?

Users frequently use the same password or variants on a password in multiple applications; so, visibility to a password even by \"trusted\" admins can compromise multiple systems.

We\'re planning on crippling getPass() and User.toString()\'s password field in order to prevent anyone from seeing the password. We\'ll also use https from the client to server in order to protect the password and docs from sniffing. We\'ll also encrypt the password upon entry and store and test the encrypted password rather than plain text. I\'d like to hash the password so it can\'t be decrypted, but I don\'t have time for that dramatic of a change.

Does anyone else need these changes? Does anyone else have a modification w/ these or similar changes? Are there other security requirements I should consider which should take less than a day? Will these changes cause any nasty side effects?

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.