• "User Friendly" terminology

• Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Help us to improve OpenKM! Be part of the Open Source Community.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the forum search function.
 #1086  by cstein

We\'ve been using OpenKM for the past few months to evaluate it for eventual roll-out to a larger number of users.

One thing we\'ve found is that some of the terminology used in the system can be confusing. Here are some examples:

1. \"Taxonomy\" - since the other sections are labeled with simple terms like \"My documents\" and \"Templates\" it would be nice if this section was labeled with a similarly simple term. Perhaps something like \"Shared Documents\" or \"Library\"

2. In the \"Add new documents\" and \"Update documents\" dialog boxes, the \"Send\" button is an uncommon term to use for uploading a document to a repository. Perhaps \"Upload\" would be better.

3. Also in the \"Add new documents\" dialog box, the \"Import documents\" checkbox requires reading of the manual to understand what it does. Perhaps \"Expand ZIP file on upload\" would be easier to understand.j

4. Another thing in the \"Add new documents\" and \"Update documents\" dialog boxes, the \"Notify to users\" checkbox might make more sense if it said \"Notify subscribed users\" since they\'re the only users who will be notified, right?

We\'re very impressed with your product, keep up the great work!
 #1087  by jllort

First, thanks for your support and suggestions.

We agree with Taxonomy (really looks ugly) but is document management correct term. We\'ll study your purpose \"Shared documents\" and \"Library\", I\'m particulary glad with \"library\" because \"shared seems to means other thing\".

OK to changing \"Send\" to \"Upload\" when adding new document or making a checkin.

OK about changing import documents to expand zip ( first seems very obfuscated ).

We\'re disappointed on changing \"notify users\" to \"notify subscribed users\". Subscribed users are notified automatically. You notify to users that you decide from OpenKM users list. Althought possible we could find other better term.

I\'ve added a ticket on tracking system to do it ( really it\'ll be on 3.0 version because it\'s so easy to do ).
 #1088  by cstein

I agree with you, I like \"Library\" best.

Thanks for the explanation on \"notify users\" -- now that I understand it, the label is fine as is.

Thanks for the speedy response!
 #1240  by blandobardo

the \"import documents\" is by far the most disguising one!
At first I couldn\'t really understand if the file were actually imported in the openkm filesystem and where.
I had to use the linux search tool to find where they end and the word \"import\" really didn\'t help.

also taxonomy is still someway obscure to me although I don\'t really need to know the senso of it to use openkm
 #1323  by jllort

About OpenKM 3.0. and cstein suggestion that was the changes done:

I made all suggested changes except \"taxonomy\", we\'ve got a internal discussion about it, and althought major people thinks taxonomy is some obfuscated terminology ( but correct for dms ), \"library\" and \"shared documents\" seems to not be - for someones - good.

We\'re opened to new suggestions, and thanks for it.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.