• Hierarchical category usage

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #16884  by stiebs

I've just started looking at using OpenKM for personal use at home, and although it does have some quirks, so far definitely seems to be the pick of the bunch in the price range that is suitable for home use!

I have a question about the use of categories - what I'll describe is working really well for me at the moment, but I haven't really loaded up a massive amount of documents yet, so I'm a little concerned that maybe performance will start to become a factor. I'll start for example with my vehicle paperwork.

So I've created a hierarchy like this in the taxonomy:
Vehicles
- Mazda
- Jeep

Then I've created this hierarchy in categories:
Vehicles
- Mazda
-- Insurance
-- Registration
-- Service
- Jeep
-- Insurance
-- Registration
-- Service

When I upload, say the insurance policy renewal for the mazda, I add it to "Vehicles" and to "Vehicles/Mazda" and to "Vehicles/Mazda/Insurance"

The effect of this is that as I click through the hierarchy, when I start at "Vehicles", I see all documents for all vehicles. Click through to "Mazda", and I see all my documents for my Mazda. Click through to "Insurance" and the list is narrowed down to insurance documents only.

This is a little more effort when adding documents, but I can live with that. But my concern is that once I start building up a library where I have 100's of documents within a category tree, am I start going to see a big performance hit?

And I guess my last question, is there a better way to achieve this effect?
 #16896  by jllort

What do you want is when adding document in mazzda autocatically see under vehicles? is that ?
 #16974  by stiebs

In a word, yes.

Although I think its probably a moot question, because the keyword map I think does just want I want it to do without the enforced structure of categories. If I add keywords "vehicle", "mazda", "registration", and then start clicking through on the keyword map, it narrows down the matching documents nicely, no matter whether I select "mazda" first or "registration" first..
 #16984  by jllort

Seems interesting feature I have added here http://issues.openkm.com/view.php?id=2183

Well we got only a little problem, for example vehicle is registered in:
vehicles
vehicles/mazzda

When we remove from vehicles we should automatically remove from mazzda no ? but if we remove from mazzda will continue beeing at vehicles
 #16988  by stiebs

Yes, I would say that makes sense.

When adding a category, have the option to also add it to all categories higher up in the hierarchy.
When removing a category, have the option to also remove it from all categories deeper down the hierarchy.
 #16995  by jllort

That means some dialog inquiring for it in case you add or remove category. In case add category should be some checkbox ( like propagate in security view ) and in remove should be some dialog.

Basically the problem if force or not this kind of behavior. If it's makes optionaly that will be on hand of user ( users mistakes ) otherside is some configuration parameter and then force to add or remove all childs nodes.

As you can see what seems trivial is not as easy. Inquiery to users seems the most general case.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.