• CAD file storage

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #52  by HaMBoNE79

I am looking for a CAD data management system and it looks like OpenKM may do the trick, but I wanted to ask a few questions before I try to set it up...

1. I will be storing CAD files in several different formats. Can OpenKM handle binary files that it does not recognize?
2. I need the ability to access the files in the repository (as read only) without the use of OpenKM. In other words, does OpenKM store files on the file system or in a database?
3. I need the ability to lock files so that multiple users don\'t check out the same files and work on them.

Can OpenKM do all of these things?

Thanks!
 #53  by jllort

First, mime-types files can not be stored on OpenKM, by default, the cad file extension is not included on mime.types ( file on OpenKM ) and this is the reason by OpenKM not will return an error \"unsuported type\". See this forum entry how to change it : http://www.openkm.com/Usage/12-I-need-t ... -type.html

OpenKM can has binary, and all mime-types that you want ( but you must configure apropiate file that defines which files can be stored ). Obviusly this files will not be indexed ( content ), only associated properties ( document parametrization, defined in your installation ).

About repository configuration, OpenKM can store files on hard disk ( default configuration when downloading ) or database ( must be parametrized on your installation, see installation guide for it ). About file system repository, you cannot access directly to files, has different names an structure, you\'ll could not indentify files by name. Really it seems to not be a good idea to access this files stored on OpenKM, without using it, seems dangerous. What you\'re thinking is something about a read only mirror on file system ... I don\'t understand why you can\'t create a user with only read grants, but on your direction ... the major aproximation now to do it, could be use export tool ( admin ) to restore all repository on your hard disk ( the export tool makes a mirror of OpenKM as a file system structure ). This solution has a major problem, real time sincronization.

OpenKM when somebody makes a check-out , locks the file to other users for edition, and only the user that has made check-out can check-in or cancel edition. There\'s other option that enables to lock a file, whitout editing, only locking. Everybody althought document is on editing ( locked ) can read document, and localy modify for example ( this it\'ll be a bad use ) but never could upload file ( because upload is locked by editing flag to only one user), Editing not locks the downloading file, locks the storing ( it\'s the normal use on dms ).
 #55  by pavila

HaMBoNE79 wrote:2. I need the ability to access the files in the repository (as read only) without the use of OpenKM. In other words, does OpenKM store files on the file system or in a database?
This is a bit weird question. We are working in a new version of OpenKM which can be used through a Webdav, so you can mount this webdav in Windows like a network folder. This feature will be available in the commercial version of OpenKM.
 #61  by HaMBoNE79

It sounds like OpenKM may still work for my purposes since it has the admin restore feature. I just have two more questions:

1. Can OpenKM automate the task of dumping files to the file system (i.e. dump the files once a day)?
2. Can OpenKM \"synchronize\" by only dumping the files that have changed in the last day?
 #62  by pavila

These features need some coding. Why do you need daily dumps to filesystem?
 #63  by HaMBoNE79

pavila wrote:These features need some coding. Why do you need daily dumps to filesystem?
I should have explained this a little better in my original post...

When you are dealing with large amounts of CAD data that is shared between several users, you need two file shares setup for each user. The first file share is a working directory that is setup for each user on a central file server. This is the area where the user checks out his CAD models to and modifies them. The second area is the read only file share on the same central file server that contains all of the CAD data.

Most CAD software works in this fashion by loading local models (in the user\'s working directory) first and then loading all of the other models from the read only share. This way the user can check out a single part (i.e. an engine mounting bracket) for modification and then pull all the other parts (i.e. engine block, heads, pistons, etc.) required for the model from the read only share. This allows the user to check out only the part that they need to update instead of checking out the entire model which could get really messy.

Hope this helps clarify.
 #72  by pavila

Ok, I understand the problem. As I said previously, the best solution for this issue is a WebDav server integrated into OpenKM. This is a feature that will be implemented in a (near?) future. Meanwhile you have two options: you can checkout the file to be modified and lock the readonly file. The other option is a repository export (or synchronization with filesystem). This implies a little java development. Contact us if you need more information about this option.
 #79  by HaMBoNE79

WebDav definitely sounds like the way to go, especially since there is davfs support for Linux.

While I\'m thinking about it, how hard would it be to add support to read information from the CAD files? The CAD system I\'m dealing with is Pro/Engineer and the files are partially ASCII. I have been studying the format for a while and have figured out how they store parameters and bill of material information.
 #81  by pavila

Do you mean index CAD file information so, you can perform a search? I need a cuple of files to see how can parse the info.
 #89  by HaMBoNE79

pavila wrote:Do you mean index CAD file information so, you can perform a search? I need a cuple of files to see how can parse the info.
Yes, but it gets kind of tricky because CAD files have user/company defined information. In Pro/E format you create a set of parameters for each part that defines the part description, the engineering change number, who it was drawn by, what revision it is, etc. Also, the ASCII portion of the file is still in a very cryptic format, but I have a good idea of how to read it to find the parameters.

When I get a chance I\'ll see if I can throw together a few files for you to take a look at. In Pro/E you have 3 major file formats: .asm for assemblies, .prt for parts, and .drw for drawings.

It may also be useful for people if OpenKM could index STEP and IGES file formats. These are both open CAD formats that store all of their information in a header in the file.
 #90  by pavila

Ok, I will look for STEP and IGES formats definitios and may be included in a future release.
 #118  by HaMBoNE79

Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, but here are the sample files I promised.

I have included one of each of the three Pro/Engineer formats: drw, prt, and asm. I also added a file_info.txt file to show which parameters each part contains. [file name=sample_PROE.zip size=19910]http://www.openkm.com/images/fbfiles/fi ... e_PROE.zip[/file]

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.