• Can admin export all files?

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #413  by fengboallan

based on my understanding, files are stored in openkm in different name and data format.

1 if I want to backup the data, which folder should be backed up?

2 can administrator export all data. for example, openkm store many users\' files, can administrator export out all uses\'s data in one times? the admin will get the real file in its real name.

thank you

Bo
 #415  by pavila

You don\'t need to export documents to perform a backup. By default, all repository data is stored in $JBOSS_HOME/repository, so you need to backup this directory. Before backup, stop JBoss.
 #418  by fengboallan

thanks, pavila

it means that we have to rely on the openkm for converting.

for example, if I missed one data file in repository

does it mean it will influence several kinds of original file?

thank you

Bo
 #434  by pavila

Sorry, I don\'t understand you. What do you mean with \"we have to rely on the openkm for converting\"?
 #436  by fengboallan

for example, if I want to export all data in the openKM.

I have to export them one by one and folder by folder.

all these transactions have to be done by OpenKm UI.

Can I have other way to export all data in one time?

thank you

Bo
 #441  by jllort

Well using OpenKM UI on tree view you\'ve got the menu option -> \"Export to file\", this option extracts a zip file with all folders and subfolders. The only limitation doing on this way is that we decide to not enable this option on okm:root ( because we had think this option to extract some information not for a total reporitory extraction , hope you can understand that is not a good idea to do it ).

The good way to export all repository to file system is using system menu options. When you\'re loogeed as system it\'ll appears a new menu option. There\'s a export / import.

For total exportation use:
on repository path write: /okm:root
on file system path write for example: /home/user or c:\\open\\export ( is a openkm server folder )

Hope it help\'s you.
 #1206  by wiseman

Thanks for your reply.

Obviously, we would like to have this process automated so we could then have the database dump / archive backed up to an offsite location.

What commands can be invoked from console to generate this? ( stop JBoss / Open KM, dump/export, start ) How does the file size of the \'repository\' directory compare to the actual size of all of the documents contained in OpenKM without compression? Does the repository use compression? Can this directory simple be relocated to a new \"fresh install\" of OpenKM on a new server and the documents will immediately be recognized? If not, what must be done to import the backup to the new instance?

Thank you in advance!!
 #1217  by pavila

If you perform an repository export, you have to perform an import in the other OpenKM installation. The repository size can be a little big than the plain document export because of the stored metadata. An can be much bigger if you have many document versions.
 #1223  by wiseman

Thank you for your reply - just a few quick questions:

1) Is there a way to initiate the EXPORT automatically from command prompt? We need it to export automatically every day or week so that we can back up offsite. We need this to be automated.

2) Does this mean that I can just set my repository type to be a \"filesystem\" and then just tell my backup utility to backup the drive/directory of the \'filesystem repository\' and the documents will be fully able to be backed up using standard backup methods?

3) Does the import remember security settings? Or must these be reapplied manually?

Thank you in advance!!
 #1230  by pavila

1) No, but if you want to perform a backup this is not the right method: export does not take care of document / folder permissions nor properties. If you want to backup the repository you have to stop JBoss and backup the $JBOSS_HOME/repository folder (if you have not changed the default configuration)

2) See 1

3) Import only get files from filesystem and put into the repository. Very similar to upload all documents individually (and creating folders if needed, of course). Export only recreates the repository structure in the filesystem. It does not take care of permissions. If you want to make a backup this is not the right method.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.