• Preserve timestamps whiile importing

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #7030  by jmonin

Hello all,

I want to import a complete folder structure into my newly installed OpenKM. I did it via the Import Tool in the Administration Panel, but the timestamps of every file were set to the date of import. So, is it possible to import files and to preserve their original timestamp? If not, this is a really important feature for migrating users!

Thanks!
 #10801  by NickC

firstly i have to congratulate you on a good application which is getting better as far as I can see.
I think it is up to us, all the prospective users to pinpoint all important parameters that we want to see implemented so that solely by use, this application can compete with the big boys.

However the timestamp problem is one of the matters that does require attention. For example in our case we maintain our file archive under a linux server accessed by samba shares. If one is keen on using correct samba permissions one can attain a good hierarchical type of a database with one's file system stored files. However the advantages of a good DMS system easily surpass that of a simple file system structure except in the case of the timestamp where one can deduce material information on the validity update status and other information of a file simply on information as to when it was drafted and when modified. THerefore you can imagine what a handicap this become once this information is lost in transit to the DMS.
 #10809  by jllort

I've added in our issues trackin http://issues.openkm.com/view.php?id=1626
That not means it'll be yet implemented, when will take some time will doing it. If it was a customer requirement it'll have high priority, otherside we evaluate all features to be implemented and we selecting on each release which will be implemented.
 #15561  by fxxxxx

Hi,

will this issue been solved in OpenKM 6.x?

I have had a quick look at the source code, and I think it should not be too difficult to implement for file last changed timestamp.

Changes need to be done in package com.openkm.util.impexp; and the fucntion private static ImpExpStats importDocumentsHelper should initialize the lastChanged property of the file which shall be written, I suppose.
I couldn't test it yet, as on my machine lots of dependencies are missing to compile OpenKm.

BR
F
 #15588  by NickC

fxxxxx wrote:Hi,

will this issue been solved in OpenKM 6.x?

I have had a quick look at the source code, and I think it should not be too difficult to implement for file last changed timestamp.

Changes need to be done in package com.openkm.util.impexp; and the fucntion private static ImpExpStats importDocumentsHelper should initialize the lastChanged property of the file which shall be written, I suppose.
I couldn't test it yet, as on my machine lots of dependencies are missing to compile OpenKm.

BR
F
If you can help them please do. It is really a make or break feature as anyone with a serious file system archive will know only too well !
 #15607  by jllort

Try configure developer IDE ( it's only reading and doing what's explained there ) and if you got some problem there we will try helping on it like other users. When you will get developer IDE, send a mail to us, with this forum link talking about the feature you want to implementing and we'll try helping you on it.
 #15624  by okmuser

Hi Jllort

In the interim is it possible to create a popup dialog to set the time and date manually.

The final version I like to see is a dialog box when importing single documents where you can type the name you like to assign for the document (this can be different to the actual file name), the date and time captured automatically from the document but with possibility to change if required, set the keywords, notes, etc.

If this can be implemented with the current property groups with a single popup dialog, I am into it....

Cheers,
 #15635  by jllort

To talk about it okmuser it'll be better other post, because it's other kind of feature.
 #15640  by fxxxxx

Hi everybody,

so in general I have good news: I can import files to the repository and the last modified timestamp is preserved. Now, I will further refactor, so that it will also work with individual file uploading etc.
Also, I will check the file created timestamp, although I think it is not possible to set it on all OS. If there is a good way, still I am not sure to what it should be set, in general there are three possibilities:
. to the time when the uploaded file was generated initially
. to the time when the file is uploaded
. to the time when the uploaded file was last modified

fxxxxx
 #15644  by jllort

To take full control is one of the reasons why in 6.x we take full control of repository, we have been working on own structure and also maintaining jcr compatibility.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.