• suggest changing some terms names like taxonomy ?

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #372  by jllort

Because seems taxonomy name generates some confusion, we open this threat to porposals about how to call Taxonomy.

If you have any suggestions to replace other terms, make your suggest here, we collect then and open a specific treat for all words.
 #373  by strider

I think that \"public documents\" would be a good option. I have thought also in \"shared\" but, since you put in \"taxonomy\" the documents available to *all* users, \"public\" is more appropriate than \"shared\".

When I first run OpenKM, I thought that you had to place the documents in \"personal documents\" and that \"taxonomy\" was some kind of \"virtual folders\" (as in Evolution).
 #2468  by kunalashar

Taxonomy seems to indicate a form of hierarchy or classification of documents.
Since the only difference between \"Taxonomy\" and \"My documents\" is the accessbility (public vs. private), I\'d vote to rename \"Taxonomy\" to \"Public documents\".

True \"taxonomy\" in OpenKM, though, has enormous potential - the ability to tag a file with multiple names or classifications or tags, so that a single document, tagged with multiple taxonomies, can appear in multiple \"hierarchical folders\" without duplication.

It\'s how Delicious (http://del.icio.us) manages bookmarks. A single bookmark can be tagged with multiple tags depending on everything that that bookmarked page contains. Then, the bookmark appears in multiple folders and multiple searches, depending on what it was tagged with.

Such a scheme is perfect for OpenKM.
 #2474  by jllort

I thinks it\'s good purpose some delicious view, using metadata ( I\'ll study it, because seems really interesting -> not easy possibly ). But we\'ll use other tab for it purpose.

On next version we\'ll include mail mixing with documents and folders, and I think we must continue mantaining taxonomy name. Althoughth it we\'ve got a great discussion about the term, because we\'re not completely happy with this.

Public documents term has problem, that really are not public :( and really on company must be done some taxonomy folder that\'s represented by openkm primary folder. As you suggest there must not be only one taxonomy it could be several, and it\'ll be a good idea to represent it on some way as delicious example. I think it\'s a great suggestion and a it could be a great enhancement.
 #19767  by nrdorf

:idea:
I know this thread is several years old, but here I am reviving it anyway ...

I suggest the name "File Cabinet", "Filing Cabinet", or even "File Room" instead of "Taxonomy"
Or have in Configuration a system.taxonomy.label= attribute that can be set to "default (Taxonomy)" or whatever you want.

In other words, use business metapors, not techie terms. That is, if you want to target business users. After all, who walks into a file room in a law practice, a doctor's office, or an insurance agency and refers to it as the "Taxonomy Room."

Food for thought.

What I would really like to see is customization to eliminate from view some of the baseline features if they are not needed. For example, in Configuration, add attributes such as system.thesarus.display = boolean yes/no

same for My Documents. Encouraging users to use their own personal document space does offer the advantage of assuring a central system backup, but it might discourage collaboration and the accessibility of Knowledge Capital.

Just my 2 cents worth
 #19774  by Snowflakes

I saw this thread from a few pages back and I'm kinda happy someone was interested in bringing this up again. I've been testing the OpenKM environment for about 3 weeks now on my own and with a small group of test users, and I've noticed "Taxonomy" is a bit of a confusing name for pretty much everyone. Either allowing it to be editable, or replacing with a different term like "Public Documents" or "Filing Cabinet" would be great.
 #19777  by gijsh

I agree that Taxonomy is a confusing term. In a Dutch translation of OpenKM, I translated 'Taxonomy' by 'Algemeen' ('General' ), following the hints in this thread. It contains the non-personal files; this is readily understood by the users of the system.
 #19801  by jllort

I'm agree with you taxonomy could not be clear, but is the correct name in document management. We have not decided it, if you take a look about taxon ( technical term in science ) and taxonomy used by documentalist people is welldone description, but as a technical term is not general use. Here will be difficult find some general consence, the only good news on it, is that with translations can be easilly changed as you wish.
 #19849  by pavila

The name "Public documents" is also confusing because not all documents are readable for everyone because may have permission restrictions.

As Josep says, you can easily change the name from Administration > Language so it will match every particular requirement.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.