• Basic concepts

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #368  by strider

Hi, I\'m trying OpenKM and I can\'t understand the difference between \'taxonomy\' and \'personal documents\'. I would be pleased if you could explain the proper use of them.

When do you place a file in \'taxonomy\' and when in \'personal documents\'?

Thanks.
 #369  by pavila

If you put a document in \"Personal Documents\" only can be accesible for your user. If you want to share a document, then put it on Taxonomy.
 #370  by strider

Ok, thank you :)

Is it not a bit confusing the term \'taxonomy\'? For me, taxonomy is related to \'tags\' and the like, and it seems that the only difference between \'taxonomy\' and \'personal documents\' is \'shared\' vs. \'not shared\'.
 #371  by jllort

Personal documents are only accesible to the single user propietary it\'s based on the same concept as \"my desktop\" on windows or linux OS.

We\'re thinking on two paral.lel ways:
1- How to share personal documents or folders to other users ( could be interesting ? ).
2- Integration OS user folder \"my documents\" to OpenKM

Althought we\'re thinking on it, and is on our roadmap, we\'ve not yet finishining internal discussion on this enhancements and we\'ve not have date to start with it.

Probably as you say, taxonomy is a word that creates some confusion. One of our community questions on next poll probably it be to change this name and how consider - community - that could be called.

I\'ve create a new forum entry to people suggest taxonomy name to be replaced.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.