• Smart Categories / Indexes / Filters

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #48225  by samjenkins00

Hi All,

Really liking OpenKM so far, and trying to design a structure that will work for us.

I'm planning to implemnet it for technical drawings (for now at least) where we have one master PDF document, and then a number of suplimentry CAD files in different formats which are used for manufacture. All files share the same base filename (normally a part number), but then have a different file extension to differentate them. I'm currently exploring Stapling to keep these together.

The main use case is to be able to pull up all of the technical drawings for a particular product or project. In taxonomy i've created a directory for each main product/project.

As an example, I'd like each product/project to have the following structure:

Project/Product A
  • ...Engineering Drawings...
  • > Supplimentry Files
  • > Old Versions
Project/Product B
  • ...Engineering Drawings...
  • > Supplimentry Files
  • > Old Versions
An added complexity is that some technical drawings are shared between products/projects. I want a single instance of these documents so i can manage and update them across all products/projects easily. Links or Aliases within taxonomy would have been ideal but i'm trying to do this with Categories at the moment (ie. a category for each product/project).

The issue is that when viewing by category, I now have all documents for that product/project in one directory. If i wanted to categorise documents further i would need to create nested categories for each product/project which would result in too much overhead.

Any ideas how i could achieve this in a relative easy way? If its too much overhead then i know people wont do it properly and then the system will lose its value.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.