• openkm knowledge management

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #46234  by jllort

Everything linked with any Knowledge Management must focus in customization, because not all companies an scenarios involved are the same. The first stage on any Knowledge Management implementation is a consultant to get goals, description of the process, discover existing information etc... basically get an image of where are you now and where do you want to go.

After it you can focus on each customization, build specific reports ( for example invoices what might be interesting for some department what are automatically communicated to them ), the desicion support system usually will be some customization between several applications ( not only OpenKM ) to retrieve into a single view several information what is critical for manager when they are taking decisions.
The process for identifying documentation might be based on learning machine ( what obviously requires preliminary training ) for content analysis in combination with document type recognition ( OCR document templates recognition ). Advanced preview is only a feature what we talk about it as an usability feature.

For my point of view, Knowledge Management is not a single application, are a couple of application what working together in some manner for getting some goals in your company. OpenKM as a Document Management and Record Management software are part of this ecosystem and might be the core of them, but will never cover everything. Usually must be build a thirparty layer ( User interface ) for specialized explorer and user interaction. The most important thing are the preliminary analysis ( what is not trivial and demands get almost company involved and find relevant persons into the company for doing it ).

Finally build Knowledge Management is not only a software solution it also demands policy changes into the company ( new rules, new bussiness logic and workflows ) you might see as a process what can take several years ( implemented step by step into your company ). Probably at the begining you have an image in your mind what at the end when you will arrive at the finish point will be changed ( sure ), because during the evolution ( I recommend incremental ) you will review your needs etc... and will be applied changes.
 #46344  by jllort

I do not have a comparative with exo they sell the idea of "collaboration platform". Sometimes these are nearly marketing terms rather than what really does. I do not know what is the difference between a "Group Ware" and a "Collaboration Platform". Another example, the difference between these terms DMS, ECM and EDRMS ( document management system, enterprise content management, enterprise document record management software )

Between DMS and EDRMS is clear, the ability of support RM ( record management ), probably is the first time you are listening about the term EDRMS, because is so specialized and has not been a success in marketing.

There are tons of literature about ECM, but the real difference between ECM and DMS is that ECM it has some extra features like forums, wikis etc... some feature that allows people to work together in some manner, not only a container. I think almost DMS can be considered nowadays ECM, really almost of then are sold as ECM because the ECM marketing term has succeeded ( some clarification ECM is not CMS -> focused on website content management ).

You will not find any KMS what cover all your need, before starting choosing any software you should analyze your company need, where you want to arrive and why. Before doing anything I suggest consultancy to create a plan. And from there buy or create your own software focused on the goals you have set in the planning. Not all is software, probably you also will need to introduce ISO in your company etc... all depends on your size etc...

Sure in your ecosystem will be needed a DMS, is something you can do in parallel, but my suggestion is first to get the needs and from there choose what DMS fits better in your ecosystem.
 #46357  by jllort

We respect the privacy of our companies and we do not share their names without their knowledge. Anyway this kind of question might not be answered from the public forum and should from sales & marketing team staff. Should contact with them at https://www.openkm.com/en/contact.html

Final consideration, the software will not solve knowledge management problem, software is only a piece as itselft will not solve anything. That's why I said you should previously make an internal consulting, because this kind of changes are not only in software, really probably are not the much relevant are in the way the organization is organized and changes in the way of working where software might help you on it, but is not the much relevant. That's why I talk about ecosystem.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.