• Uploading Directory

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #44131  by farkinid2

Hi there,

I have 2 questions regarding OpenKM.
  1. Is there a guide to folder and user restrictions? I understand that it uses roles and users but its quite confusing. An example of application of these would help greatly in my understanding of it.
  2. Is there a way to download, edit then upload directories? One of the programs that we use is directory based. Therefore each client is a directory onto itself. I understand the download to zip works but the upload part is challenging. Also, users are using Firefox 54 with no Java plugin.
Thank you for any help or suggestions.
 #44143  by jllort

1- About security take a look at this videos, might help you in some way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZdsWBljRU

2- Seems you are talking about you have external application what needs to accessing as a shared network to the data. Is that ? In community version should use WEB_DAV ( in professional version you have the CIFS option ).
 #44148  by farkinid2

Thanks for the answers. Regarding question 2, yes the users have an external application which currently reads and edits a group of files in 1 directory for 1 client through a single client program. The directory is currently a mapped network drive but we are considering moving it off to a DMS because working on the directories through SMB is very slow.

Another issue is that by using the normal OpenKM interface, it would be possible to limit user access to the directories if somebody else is currently editing the files. Using SMB sometimes the files aren't locked by the client program resulting in errors (yes its a terrible program). I forsee that WEBDAV might result in this issue as well. Thats why a solution that allows directory downloading and uploading would be suitable.
 #44155  by jllort

OpenKM comes with the classical check-in / check-out edit process what ensures only on user is editing the document at the same time. About limit access ( read in some folder ) you can do it applying security ( see security tab for it ).

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.