• Show property groups as columns

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #43933  by Beau_M

Hi, as the title suggests, is there a way to show property groups as a column per folder. To explain a little more, we have multiple files with many property groups (usually around 5 to 10 groups). I know we can set the user profiles to show a fixed number property groups as columns, but there are nowhere near enough for our purposes and not every file is using the same group (although every file in a single folder is using the same group. Eg, folder A has files with only property group A and folder B has files with only property group B). I'm hoping for a dynamic solution so when you change folders the columns can update to the relevant information for the files within.

Edit - Using 6.3.4 build 47204ef on Server08
 #43949  by jllort

First us all, I must advice the usage of extra columns ( based on metadata ) might produce a bad perfomance. You will discover the reason taking a look in the source code about how actualy are these fields retrieved. What initially we thought was good idea, passed the time, we think was not so good. In the same way, we make some improvement in professional version for better perfomance ( specialy when you have pagination enabled etc.. ) anyway we are not 100% happy with the results and we are not sure if it's a good feature or a trap.

If you sum to the actual logic ( what is so complex ) more complexity, take in consideration node to show one metadata or other ( might be done, but needs to modify source code ) I think we might going in direction of getting best perfomance will be difficult.

Anyway if you want to modify the source code for it, I can provide some clues about what classes are involved on it and some ideas about how doing it.
 #43950  by Beau_M

Hi Jllort, I did consider there may be performance issues with this, however our database is always going to be relatively small (we're only a small company and are using it for compliance documents) so speed shouldn't be a massive issue. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.
 #43987  by Beau_M

I am setting up Eclipse right now, just having some difficulty getting the build to run for some reason.
 #44023  by jllort

First should understanding how is going now, for it must understanding these classes and methods:
GWTUtil -> public static GWTDocument copy(Document doc, GWTWorkspace workspace), line 106
Here is set the value of extra column -> you should have some logic here to change default metadata fields for your own, based in the parent folder

One problem will be it's quite complex change the column title, I suggest later to set to fixed values ( basically you should take a look at GWTProfileFileBrowser and look for getColumn00() references, for example:
ExtendedScrollTable ( package com .openkm.frontend.client widget.filebrowser ) -> line 485
WorkspaceServlet -> Line 308

Not easy.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.