• SOLVED: Remote connection to server

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #1490  by alloydog

I use Webmin and Putty to connect to the host server.

I read in another thread that when you run run.sh, you need to keep the terminal open. Is this right?

If I connect to the host server, with say Putty, run run.sh and then close the connection, will OpenKM shut down?
 #1492  by pavila

You can start JBoss as a service. Make a search in this forum because is the answer to your question.
 #1504  by jllort

Take a look at this post, for some openkm script ( it\'s on spanish discussion , but script seems fine ).

It this spanish web, you can get a more detailed solution ( it\'s quite easy, for it I post to you ).
 #1552  by alloydog

alloydog wrote:Thanks, those helped (So did Google translate ;D )
sort of...

Looking at the instruction to create the workers2.properties file:
#
# This is the minimal JK2 connector configuration file.
#

[logger]
level=ERROR

[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
tomcatId=localhost:8009

# myWebApp
[uri:/myWebApp]
[uri:/myWebApp/*]
I take it that "myWebApp" referes to OpenKM. So should I use the full path, in my case /opt/OpenKM-3.0_JBoss-4.2.2.GA/...?
What should be the final file?

The next instruction is to edit the file jk2.conf. I have no such file. Do I create it?
The instructions in the file say to uncomment the last line, but when I run the following instruction through Google translate:
Luego editas el fichero /etc/apache2/mods-available/jk2.conf y descomentas la última línea para que quede así:
It reads as "... cancel the last line" - does this mean comment the last line out?
# To enable mod_jk2, customize workers2.properties* from
# /usr/share/doc/libapache2-mod-jk2/examples and copy it to
# /etc/apache2/workers2.properties. Then uncomment the following line:
JkSet config.file /etc/apache2/workers2.properties
sorry for all these seemingly basic question, but I am completely new to all this...
 #1553  by jllort

Make apache proxy is not mandatory is you don\'t want to set a proxy across apache port 80 to openkm port 8080.

I don\'t know whick is your case, but on almost cases to make a script is not necessary it.
 #1595  by pavila

Only if you want to access OpenKM (JBoss) through Apache.
 #1606  by alloydog

Sorry, I didn\'t explains things clearer, or I\'ve missed something...

OpenKm is installed on a server running Ubuntu 8.04, with no GUI.

I manage the server via SSH with either putty or WinSCP, or with Webmin. Run OpenKM from a terminal is not possible, as the moment I close the session, OpenKM will be shutdown. So it has to be run as a service, and started when the server is booted.

Also, others have to be able to use the document management service, so it is not possible to view at localhost. We have to view the DMS at http://server.address/OpenKM

For example, when trying out eZpublish, the URI was http://server.address/ez

If you get my meaning.
 #1607  by pavila

JBoss listen at port 8080 by default, if you want to access OpenKM from port 80 you can configure JBoss to listen at this port or configure an Apache with mod_proxy to redirect request to JBoss. Perhaps you need professional support for this configuration if you are not familiar with Ubuntu administration.
 #1609  by alloydog

OK, thanks - now I know what to look for, I can ask around.

Just to clarify things:

By default, when installed on a PC, OpenKM is only accessible on that PC?

For it to be accessible by others, say across a network, you need to start rewriting stripts and configuring other applications, such as Apache?
 #1613  by pavila

JBoss by default only listen at localhost, so if you want JBoss to be accessed from another computer you have to start it with the -b 0.0.0.0 parameter. And OpenKM is a web application that runs in JBoss.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.