• Preserving categories and keywords when copying files

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #28937  by MKochS

Hello all, I have the following problem (and please don't hit me too hard if I'm missing something obvious :) ):

whenever I am copying or moving files from my personal tree into the taxonomy tree, keywords and categories assigned to the files disappear. Can I move files around without losing them?

TIA
Matthias, Germany, 33° C
 #28942  by jllort

I will try to give you some light about it.

1- With move there's no problem, because object is the same, and only parent path is changed, but the object is inmutable.
2- When copy, you copy object, but does it means copy all metadata, keywords, category, that is optional ( in professional version there's extended copy feature what allows you to decide if you also want to copy extra data ).
3- Really the feature is not implemented, but should be, is "clone". Clone is other kind of concepts, means copy everyghing, and simply change final destination path.
 #28943  by MKochS

This solves the problem. I never tried to really move large volumes for fear of losing attached information. It works indeed with moving the files. Thank you very much for your help.
Matthias

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.