• Database structure

• We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
We tried to make OpenKM as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #119  by lfjara

Hi,

I\'m considering using OpenKM as DMS for my company. I just downloaded and installed it and it looks nice.

the main point where I am investigating now if it\'s suitable for me or not, is in integration with my other systems.
I just started to investigate how OpenKM stores information, just to know if it\'s easy to add information to the repository. Imagine I have an application that creates files. I\'d like that that application creates the file entry in the repository without needind to do it manually within OpenKM.
At the moment I found a HSQL DB with one table where I found the whole history of executon (login, searches and many other not-firendly things)
This is the way OpenKM sotres information? is there any more friendly way to entry information on the system?

Please help

Thanks
 #120  by jllort

The OpenKM by default is configured to store documents and structure on file system ( althought it can be configured to store on database, by default we\'ve configured as the most simply way ).

If you want to connect OpenKM with other applications, the correct way to do it, is using Webservices API.
 #121  by lfjara

Ok, but is is a java API, isn´t it?
If I would like to create documents in the repository from a VB application, I guess that the only way I could do it is setting the information into a file or table, and to run a program in java that detecs this and uses the API to create the document in OpenKM?
 #122  by jllort

Althought OpenKM is a java project, the webservices exposed API, can be used with php script language and of course with visual basic or .NET like others languages ...

The way to interact with OpenKM ( integration with thirparty ) is using Webservices, take a look about webservices on Visual Basic, that\'s the correct way to do it.

It\'s not a good idea to execute anything directly on OpenKM repository, the idea of Webservices API is to standarize and make good integrations, delegating all the login to OpenKM kernel, don\'t try to do it directly.

Java is not mandatory to interact with OpenKM only webservices support.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.