• Working OpenLDAP configuration, some questions

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #4768  by akorn

Hi,

based on the wiki and some posts in this forum I think I managed to configure OpenKM 4.1RC1 for LDAP based authentication. I'm now contributing my configuration because it wasn't easy to come up with; also, I have some questions about it.

My OpenKM.cfg reads as follows:
Code: Select all
default.user.role=UserRole
default.admin.role=AdminRole
system.ocr=/usr/bin/tesseract
system.openoffice=on
system.pdf2swf=/path/to/jboss-4.2.3.GA_OpenKM-4.1_RC1/bin/pdf2swf
system.demo=off
system.readonly=off
system.antivir=/usr/bin/clamscan
restrict.file.mime=off
restrict.file.extension=*~,*.bak,._*
max.file.size=25
principal.adapter=es.git.openkm.principal.LdapPrincipalAdapter
principal.ldap.security.principal=cn=admin,dc=mydomain,dc=net
principal.ldap.security.credentials=adminpassword
principal.ldap.server=ldap://ldap.mydomain.net
principal.ldap.search=dc=mydomain,dc=net
principal.ldap.user.search.base=ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=net
principal.ldap.user.search.filter=(&(objectclass=inetOrgPerson)(memberOf=cn=UserRole,ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=net))
principal.ldap.role.search.base=ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=net
principal.ldap.role.search.filter=(objectclass=groupOfNames)
principal.ldap.role.atribute=cn
principal.ldap.user.atribute=uid
principal.ldap.mail.search.base=uid={0},ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=net
principal.ldap.mail.search.filter=(objectclass=inetOrgperson)
principal.ldap.mail.atribute=mail
system.login.lowercase=off
Questions about this part:

* I can't just change default.user.role and default.admin.role, without modifying the web.xml file of the OpenKM webapp, right?
* What is principal.ldap.security.principal used/needed for? My directory allows anonymous binds. I'm not comfortable including the LDAP admin password in OpenKM.cfg. Maybe some restricted LDAP object would be sufficient? From what I saw so far, it's only used for searching, so perhaps an anonymous bind would work as well?

The relevant part of my login-config.xml reads as follows:
Code: Select all
    <application-policy name="OpenKM">
       <authentication>
          <login-module code="org.jboss.security.auth.spi.LdapExtLoginModule" flag="required" >
            <module-option name="java.naming.provider.url">ldap://ldap.mydomain.net:389</module-option>
            <module-option name="java.naming.security.authentication">simple</module-option>
            <module-option name="baseCtxDN">ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=net</module-option>
            <module-option name="baseFilter">(&(uid={0})(memberOf=cn=UserRole,ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=net))</module-option>
            <module-option name="rolesCtxDN">ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=net</module-option>
            <module-option name="roleFilter">(uid={0})</module-option>
            <module-option name="roleAttributeID">memberOf</module-option>
            <module-option name="roleNameAttributeID">cn</module-option>
            <module-option name="roleAttributeIsDN">true</module-option>
            <module-option name="roleRecursion">2</module-option>
            <module-option name="searchScope">ONELEVEL_SCOPE</module-option>
            <module-option name="allowEmptyPasswords">False</module-option>
          </login-module>
       </authentication>
    </application-policy>
This assumes that:

* OpenLDAP is using the RFC2307bis schema instead of the nis schema (only required if you want your openkm roles to double as posix groups, or vice versa);
* you have enabled the "memberof" overlay in slapd.conf;
* the "roles" are represented by groupOfNames objects.

Note that, perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively, the base DN of the groups (which in my case would be ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=net) isn't referenced in the JAAS configuration at all; instead, rolesCtxDN must be set to the base DN of the subtree containing the users, because we're using their memberOf attributes to find out what roles they have.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.