• Documents expiration

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #52575  by teera_w

Does OpenKM Community have the Documents expiration feature?

This meant, document stored in OpenKM and setup retention period, and then they will automatic delete from OpenKM by some process / batch job.
This document expiration, I expected both document file and related their metadata.

I was found this link but it seem only expiration notification based on Metadata about document imported date.
https://docs.openkm.com/kcenter/view/ok ... ation.html
 #52585  by teera_w

Can anyone suggest for this topic?

It may be sample scripting, add-ons, or configuration based to do document expiration.
 #52595  by jllort

In CE we do not have implemented the same sample available in professional editon. Anyway consider in almost cases this is a small customization because the login applied to the lifecycle of documents maybe very different between companies.

In version 7 we working with advanced file plan what provides more control. In version 6.4 we use a combination of metadata and cron jobs. In version 6.3 can implemente the same concept of version 6.4.

I suggest reading:
* https://docs.openkm.com/kcenter/view/ok ... ition.html ( almost contents in this hierarchy )
* how to create a cron job https://docs.openkm.com/kcenter/view/ok ... b-job.html
* finally here it is explained how installing full development environement ready to be used https://www.openkm.com/en/download.html ( take a look at the video )
 #52605  by teera_w

Thanks, jllort.

For more question, after we take a look on your links.

- Metadata: Does this mean we need to apply some coding to read meta data that have expired date and delete it from database?
How about content files can we delete together with metadata?
However, this link explain about metadata structure but still not see practice to expire document. Please suggest or has some more material to do that.

- Cronjob: I think you meant if we complete coding for above program, we can set schedule by cron.
 #52614  by teera_w

Greeting, jllort

For additional question, as I saw File Plan in Professional edition does it similar to document expiration?
 #52635  by jllort

File plan have expiration but is quite different because in works in a lifecycle concept, the document has several steps and at the end, you can expire, or do other things based in elapsed time and logic involved there.

About expiration with metadata, the idea is to set a metadata field of type date ( input ). Then a crontab to daily check what documents will expire. Based in expiration in the cron job you can do what you wish, notify to some users that the document has expired, purge the document from the system etc... obviously it is required control of OpenKM API and Java language for doing it.
 #54481  by teera_w

Hi @jllort ,

I'm not sure that currently does OpenKM Pro latest version already has expiration based on document date? (ex. in fileplan module)
Because customer requirement need to expire by checking document date aging rather than normal document life cycle, and they are no need to has another customized program to expire document by cron job.

Thank you.
Teera W.
 #54505  by jllort

The fileplan only comes in the professional edition and is not available in the CE. We only suggest the file plan in specific scenarios because of its complexity, in most of the scenarios an expiration basic in a customization is enough.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.