• Configure Tomcat as service under Linux

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #42281  by silverspr

HI, I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I am following the instructions to start tomcat as a service found here:
https://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/Confi ... vice_linux

I'm sure my problem is obvious and simple to fix, but it is eluding me. I cannot get tomcat to start with the Tomcat_User=openkm as per the configuration instructions. Only my "username" as Tomcat_User with Tomcat_Home=/home/username/openkm/tomcat works. Created the openkm user as per instructions and added the openkm to the folder group permissions for Tomcat_Home and still can't start tomcat. What permissions does openkm user need?

thanks
 #42285  by jllort

The idea is your create a user named openkm
Code: Select all
sudo adduser openkm
Then into openkm copy the tomcat bundle ( I suggest it rather community installation wizard from here https://www.openkm.com/en/download.html download Openkm-6.3.1-tomcat-bundle.zip and unzip into /home/openkm). Remember you must have java JDK 1.7 installed
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
Then follow the wiki documentation and you should get it running.

If you want create a user with distinct name ( simply must modify it in tomcat script, nothing else ).

Apologies if the installation steps are not so clear in actual wiki we are still working in documentation, actually we have more than 60% finished and I hope before December we'll be able to finally release an acceptable 6.3 community documentation.
 #42290  by silverspr

LOL ok thank you...so it was simple. This is currently how I have OpenKM set up with my username pointing to the install directory. For some reason the more I read the instructions I was convinced I needed to create a system user to start tomcat.
thanks again.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.