• Working with templates

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #41683  by malcmail

I am hoping this is in the right place. AFter managing to get the community edition installed I've been spending some time setting it up. My set up is very simple. WHat I had hoped to do was sort something out for the following. I take and make a lot of calls during the day and want to be able to type up notes on them. Now I could open a word file for instance that already has a template (for instance spaces for who, where, phone number, date, etc), fill out the gaps and then upload it. What I had hoped to do instead was create a document that I could use over and over in OKM instead. I think templates may be the key here, at least I'm hoping it is. I've worked through the wiki on it but am still a little unclear. I've added the Bird Name template to the property groups.xml to get a feel for it. But I'm not sure what I do with the text file created in the creating text templates section. CAn anyone walk me through this please?

Also does it then store the details in a document that can be retrieved?

Many thanks in advance.
 #41685  by malcmail

Rather than the text file OO would seem like a better bet for me. Now that I've remembered how to get the tools menu up! Been a long day!
 #41704  by jllort

In this documentation section you will find samples with .odt, .pdf and html format. http://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/Creating_templates

If you have problems with large fields, another possibility is using html templates, and after creation transform to PDF format ( with your own automation task ).
 #41722  by malcmail

Thanks. That was the document I was using. I tried to create both templates in Text files and then in OO (well LibreOffice) and can upload and use as templates, but when I use it to "create from template" all I get is the exact document put in the folder I wanted. I am not given any opportunity to enter details.

At the moment I am trying the bird template so it is short. Will I have a problem with longer text fields?

Thanks for your continuing help.
 #41729  by jllort

Did you copyed the odt file under /okm:templates or subfolder and assigned metadata group ? I think you have missed to add metadata group to the document ( the metadata group causes showing fields to be filled from UI ).
 #41731  by malcmail

You were right! Right click on the template and add the property group. A follow up question. I see that adds a document that cannpt be previewed but adds a tab into the bottom half of the screen where the data is stored. Is it possible to use soemthing in the system to generate a document instead? Something I could print off or send to someone if need be?
 #41743  by jllort

Better if you add another post for this question and make some screenshot ( mockup ) because I'm not understanding what you have in mind.
 #41745  by malcmail

So I just wrote a massive post about what I wanted to do. And as I was finishing I realised that as well as the property group tab appearing there is indeed a preview - which is what I was after in the first place!

You mentioned if I wanted a greter amount of text I would have to use an html template and then convert it to pdf via automation. Could you give me some hints on how to do this please?
 #41746  by malcmail

Also, is it possible to not have all the fields in the property tab (so for instance only have a couple of keywords but the document itself still contain a greater amount of text?
 #45384  by saleem55

jllort wrote: Tue May 03, 2016 7:22 am Did you copyed the odt file under /okm:templates or subfolder and assigned metadata group ? I think you have missed to add metadata group to the document ( the metadata group causes showing fields to be filled from UI ).
This solution worked fine with me
thanks

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.