• Document Scanning

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #25456  by ivan.todorovic

Hi there,

I have some questions about Document Scanning.

1. Can scanned document name be predefined, so user doesn't have to enter it before scanning?
2. Can scanning process be issued from workflow (or can a user be assigned a workflow task to scann a document)?
3. After scann, scanning form remains, and there is no automatic refresh, so I can not see new document until I do manual refresh...is there a way to change it?

Thanks in advance...
 #25483  by jllort

1- after uploading with some logic can automatically rename document.
2- you're thinking about scan from UI, this is not probably the best scenario for scanning. possible, yes but I think other solutions will be better.

Really you're talking to me how do you decided to solve the problem, but not the problem on deep, I think should be better start from understanding the problem, and then we can propose several ways to solve it
 #25488  by ivan.todorovic

Tnx for reply

So let me describe you the problem in short lines, this it the request I got ...

There are some documents which are private, and only one person can read it, but has to receive it from another person(who distributes all the documents).
So, the distributer needs to scann only an envelope of a document, add automatic document name and some data, and asssign permissions to receiver. Receiver needs to scann the document and add its content to scanned enelope.

Since this is suposed to be done with minimum possible number of steps, I was thinking of combining workflows with scanning applet.
If that is the case, some steps seems unnecessary, such as entering scanned document name (since I already said it is automatic, from a sequence), or occasional refreshing.
In this scenario, workflow should be started, and one of the task would be scanning from UI...So I would really appriciate if you help me on how to make that UI scann.

Of course, i would appriciate all the other suggestions...
 #25500  by ivan.todorovic

I know I am getting boring, but I have one more question that I find very important.

After uploading a file from my computer, workflow wizard executes.
I would like wizard to execute after document scann too, but that doesn't happen. Is it usual behavoir, or is there some problem with applet or so? Can it be set to work like a "normal" upload?

Best Regards,
Ivan
 #25502  by ivan.todorovic

ivan.todorovic wrote:I know I am getting boring, but I have one more question that I find very important.

After uploading a file from my computer, workflow wizard executes.
I would like wizard to execute after document scann too, but that doesn't happen. Is it usual behavoir, or is there some problem with applet or so? Can it be set to work like a "normal" upload?

Best Regards,
Ivan
Sorry, wasn't googling, I guess I need to try this first
http://forum.openkm.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10029
 #25522  by jllort

I suggest other kind of solution. I think today I will not have enought time but next week I will release two dll in .net. One for minimal UI ( like tree select destination etc... ) and other with complete webservices access.

For this kind of procedures you got in mind, like scan, then upload, etc... I suggest implement minimal application ( build your own logic in external UI, and interact with openkm repository directly by ws api ). I think that will be more easy and you'll be able to take more control in the logic you want to implement. Specially because there's an isolated user who will distribute and change security ( for what I know, if it's not correct extend the explanation ).

You'll get a lot of example how scan in .net and with visual studio it's easy build your own app. Anyway you need to write some code in .net or java ( workflows ). I think first option will be more fast and probably get more usable UI.
 #25740  by ivan.todorovic

Tnx for answering Jllort...

I have another question. In IE, after running scanning applet and closing it, applet can not be started again (clicking on scanner button does nothing).
Also, after running scanning applet, sometimes I can not download any of the documents(it says that file can not be downloaded from server). Both things happen only in IE, Firefox works fine...

Had anyone expirenced this kind of behavoir? Any suggestions?
 #25743  by gr87

I have the same problems as above.

1. Can not run scanner applet after it's closed.
The applet scanner.jar is called the first time properly, but will not open after it's closed.
It works only in Firefox, and the problem described above manifests in IE, Chrome and Opera. The problem is, the client is exclusive to using IE8, so all the problems with IE we have to solve.

I have the Java console log once the Applet is closed. I could also provide the log once the applet is started, but nothing suspicious is happening there.
Code: Select all
INFO: windowClosed: calling 'destroyScannerApplet'
basic: Starting applet teardown
basic: Finished applet teardown
basic: PluginMain.unregisterApplet: 1 from mananger sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2Manager@115f1d3
basic: Removed progress listener: sun.plugin.util.ProgressMonitorAdapter@368400
Oct 03, 2013 1:57:57 PM com.openkm.applet.MainFrame windowClosed
INFO: windowClosed: calling 'destroyScannerApplet'
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" netscape.javascript.JSException: No registered plugin for applet ID 1
	at sun.plugin2.main.client.MessagePassingJSObject.newJSException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.client.MessagePassingJSObject.waitForReply(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.client.MessagePassingJSObject.call(Unknown Source)
	at com.openkm.applet.MainFrame.windowClosed(MainFrame.java:176)
	at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)"""
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Could anyone with more Java experience explain the line:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" netscape.javascript.JSException: No registered plugin for applet ID 1
2. Can not download from address 192.168.so.andso.
I can identify the problem is happening after I opened two OpenKM tabs for the same user, and then download from the second tab. The first tab works fine.

============================================
Windows Internet Explorer
Unable to download <MyDocument> from <MyHostName>.
Internet explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
============================================

I have added the host to Trusted sites, and enabled the downloads, obviously. At the client's these things seem to happen randomly, sometimes the download works and sometimes it does not. At this time, I am unable to pinpoint the exact logic when it does happen.
 #25756  by jllort

Can you try with our online demo. Because I think this is a bug caused by browser - jdk changes that we've solved in professional version but still has not been propagated to community.
 #25782  by gr87

Edited: Misposted.
Last edited by gr87 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #25786  by gr87

I have tested on the Demo.

Problem 1: Running applet multiple times works on the demo.
Problem 2: Can not download from .... this is IE specific limitation, and does not work even on the demo site. I presume you're referring to this not yet being in community version? Is there any info on when it would be available, or if there's a commit that could be applied?
Also, this issue seems to happen on after scanning a multiple page document (which causes another error), then Process Workflow is not started and I am unable to donwload the document in any window.
 #25816  by jllort

If goes in demo and not in community is because the patch has not been applied in commnity. When we decide do not make it is because is so much complex apply in community and then will come back in major release.
 #25919  by ivan.todorovic

jllort wrote:I suggest other kind of solution. I think today I will not have enought time but next week I will release two dll in .net. One for minimal UI ( like tree select destination etc... ) and other with complete webservices access.

For this kind of procedures you got in mind, like scan, then upload, etc... I suggest implement minimal application ( build your own logic in external UI, and interact with openkm repository directly by ws api ). I think that will be more easy and you'll be able to take more control in the logic you want to implement. Specially because there's an isolated user who will distribute and change security ( for what I know, if it's not correct extend the explanation ).

You'll get a lot of example how scan in .net and with visual studio it's easy build your own app. Anyway you need to write some code in .net or java ( workflows ). I think first option will be more fast and probably get more usable UI.

Hi again...Have you released those dll's?
I would like to have your opinion on this too,it might be imposible but it would shorely be nice if it could work.

I know how to add something like this to the form:
Code: Select all
<applet code='com.openkm.applet.Scanner' name='Scanner' width='1' height='1' mayscript archive='../scanner.jar'>
<param name='sessionId' value='F83C05FFAF4BAB6E57B8222FD7550C8E'> 
<param name='path' value='/okm:root/'>
<param name='lang' value='en' ></applet>
I have found F83C05FFAF4BAB6E57B8222FD7550C8E sessionId using JavaScript console, so while user with this id was still logged, scanning was working perfectly(files where places in "path" and Author was user with "sessionId"). But ofcourse, as soon as I closed F83C05FFAF4BAB6E57B8222FD7550C8E session, I started getting "Moved Temporarely" error after scanning.
Is there any way to get this sessionId for logged user from workflow prcess(JBPM actionhandler)? I have found similar sessionId's are written in OKM_ACTIVITY but only in SESSION_DESTROYED records.
Also, since it says it was moved, is there a way to find out where it was moved on okm file system on server's file system?

I would really appriciate help on this...
 #25983  by jllort

Is not possible the id is the tomcat session id. The idea of using ui scanner is to be logged while you are scanning other side should be talking about the client app, but this is not the case.
 #43906  by adam0321

jllort wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:17 pm 1- after uploading with some logic can automatically rename document.
2- you're thinking about scan from UI, this is not probably the best scenario for Blueprint scanning. possible, yes but I think other solutions will be better.

Really you're talking to me how do you decided to solve the problem, but not the problem on deep, I think should be better start from understanding the problem, and then we can propose several ways to solve it
Hello,
You have provided very nice answer for the question. But I also like to ask one question that I'm unable to solve.
The question is - Which scanner works best for scanning large documents like building maps, blueprints etc.
Waiting for your reply.
Last edited by adam0321 on Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.