• Instructions for setting up 2.0 from scratch

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #549  by mlweaver

I have used/tested 1.2 in the past, and really like it. I am now in a situation where I need to install OpenKM from scratch on a windows box. After significant amounts of time digging around in the forum, and www.openkm.com in general, I have come to the reliaztion that there is no formal install docs or instructions of any kind for installing the 2.0 release...

This is a Bad Thing IMHO.

If I knew enough (actually, anything at all) about the openKM project, or its releated technologies in Java, I would definately try to help to get some documentation made, but I really have nothing to contribute, other than a rather frustrating experiance so far in \"field testing\" and finding the install process, or complete lack thereof, rather frustrating.

Please, could someone either provide some install/setup instructions or at least gently point me in the correct direction to find such a thing?

-Matt
 #550  by pavila

I don\'t see the problem: installing OpenKM 1.2 and OpenKM 2.0 is the same task.
 #551  by mlweaver

Respectfully, it doesn\'t seem that way to me. Primarily, it seems that the java package that should be installed first, and is linked to in the quick install instructions, doesn\'t contain the right server components. I get an error when I run the run.bat file that is looking for a path that does not exist, under c:\\program files\\java\\server... don\'t have the exact path at the moment.

If nothing changed on the openKM side of things, perhaps something changed on Sun\'s java site? I installed 1.2 a few months ago, along with the java components that were linked from the site, and it was completly painless and worked perfecty. I tried the 2.0 install on a cleanly installed XP SP2 machine in the last few days, and had no success.

-Matt
 #554  by pavila

For this problem, look at this forum thread. Installing in Windows with JDK 1.5 seems to be a little confuse. You needs some Java knowledges for this task. Also you can contact us for Professional Support.
 #746  by rockdoc

I\'m with Matt - I have just downloaded the zip file (OpenKM-2.0_JBoss-4.2.2.GA.zip)for OPenKm - I\'d like to use a document management system for my technical papers and thought I\'d give this software a go. I have found no information that tells me how to install OpenKM.

I\'m not sure what environment variable needs setting, what batch file to run, whether additional software needs to be in place beforehand ... so far OpenKM could be wonderful but I can\'t find out ... any help would be appreciated ...

Stephen
 #747  by rockdoc

I found some information on installation and installed JDK and followed the instructions that I found regarding startup and login. I have now just loaded up two files onto the database and attempted a search without success.

The two files were .pdfs and the search term is within the text of the pdf. I can see a very brief \"updating search\" window appearing but that\'s it. Other than that the search does not pull up either file.

Is there a user manual I could download?

Stephen
 #749  by Jim

Yes,I have the same problem. I can\'t find any installation manual for OpenKM2.0 in this website,so I have to think the website owner does this for selling his professional support actually.

Error info.

HTTP Status 404 - /openkm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /openkm

description The requested resource (/openkm) is not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JBossWeb/2.0.1.GA
 #754  by tidus2728

Hi,

I too had that same problem before. I believe that the developers don\'t really have the time to make documentation about the installation process. That is why there is a \"community\" to support the community edition. I will try to create an installation guide for the new users. But for now, I am willing to give some support.

Thanks.
 #756  by rockdoc

Thank you for responding and offering your time to help.

My main focus at present is to be able to upload existing documents (either .doc, .pdf or .ppt) and create a searchable database of information.

At the minute I have uploaded two test .pdfs and when I attempt a search based on a text string that I know exists in one of the files - OpenKm does not identify it - I just see a window flash up momentarily saying \"updating search\".

Any ideas as to what I\'m doing wrong?

Regards

Stephen
P.S. Does anyone have any kind of user guide?
 #758  by tidus2728

Hi,

I have tried what you have stated and my system works fine. Maybe the problem is with your PDF files. Are these files generated from a PDF printer or were they scanned? If they were scanned, the problem lies on the files. Scanners usually cannot extract the text data from a document but extract it as an image. That is probably why OpenKM cannot find the data of the pdf files.
 #763  by rockdoc

I have attached desktop and search screens - plus a copy of the derby.log file in ./bin.

Was this the right log file?

Regards

Stephen

contents of derby.log

----------------------------------------------------------------
2008-07-08 06:37:55.515 GMT:
Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby - 10.2.1.6 - (452058): instance c013800d-011b-0163-fed1-0000061167e8
on database directory C:\\OpenKM-2.0_JBoss-4.2.2.GA\\repository\\version\\db

Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=\'\'
----------------------------------------------------------------
2008-07-08 06:37:56.859 GMT:
Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby - 10.2.1.6 - (452058): instance 6074401f-011b-0163-fed1-0000061167e8
on database directory C:\\OpenKM-2.0_JBoss-4.2.2.GA\\repository\\workspaces\\default\\db

Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=\'\'

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.