• OpenKM Sizing Guideline

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #52559  by teera_w

Do OpenKM have channel to sizing OpenKM system for customer? (HW, Disk, Architecture:Standalone,Cluster)

If anyone have technique (Ex.Calculate formula that related to number of users, workload), or have tool/form/support to do sizing, please share me.
 #52571  by jllort

Do not exist and will never exist, because suggested hardware depends on a lot of variables. Not possible to set everything in a form and do a calculation.
Always we start with the same questions:
1- first year repository size ( in number of nodes )
2- repository incremental by day, week, month, year ( in number of nodes )
3- do you have some robot user which import data ( I'm talking about daily huge import ) -> describe it
4- do you have some special document type ( large videos, large pdf ) or have common files ( office )
5- number of concurrent users ( how many are writers )
6- always is welcome a description of the problem that will be solved with openkm

If you are looking for performance we suggest go in Linux ( in Windows works fine, but with the same hardware Linux always will provide extra performance - and usually less strange behaviours ).
 #52730  by teera_w

Hi jllort,

Thank you for your clarify.

Assumption for input file for this OpenKM system
No. of file, file type and file size as below:
PDF file about 17,000 file/day with 500KB/file.
XML file about 8,400 file/day with 20KB/file

1- first year repository size ( in number of nodes )
[Ans] From above assumption, first year will stored around 9,271,000 documents (nodes) in OpenKM

2- repository incremental by day, week, month, year ( in number of nodes )
[Ans] From above assumption, first year will stored around 9,271,000 documents (nodes) in OpenKM
- Daily: 25,400 documents (**Note: We have time to import it all within 2 hours.)
- Weekly: 177,700 documents
- Yearly: 9,271,000 doucments
Note: About 30% Business growth rate for each year.

3- do you have some robot user which import data ( I'm talking about daily huge import ) -> describe it
[Ans] Daily huge import will doing by batch program that got input files from Customer's ERP.
Less documents will come from user import.

4- do you have some special document type ( large videos, large pdf ) or have common files ( office )
[Ans] PDF and XML

5- number of concurrent users ( how many are writers )
[Ans] 50 Users in OpenKM system (about not over 20 concurrents)

From this information, can we sizing servers/storage capacity for this system?
 #52752  by jllort

10 million per year will not be supported by CE ( in an acceptable performance from my point of view ), you should go to OpenKM Professional. I want to be clear from the beginning, do not lose time with CE with these numbers. And in case of the Professional edition, it will require tunning and specific services to upload such amount of data with acceptable performance. We have some customers with a similar scenario.

In CE I know some customers with 2 million and someone with 6 million.

Finally, if you go with us or another company, don't look for an open source solutions to handle this repository size: you need a professional team behind, for sure.
 #52765  by teera_w

jllort wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:58 pm 10 million per year will not be supported by CE ( in an acceptable performance from my point of view ), you should go to OpenKM Professional. I want to be clear from the beginning, do not lose time with CE with these numbers. And in case of the Professional edition, it will require tunning and specific services to upload such amount of data with acceptable performance. We have some customers with a similar scenario.

In CE I know some customers with 2 million and someone with 6 million.

Finally, if you go with us or another company, don't look for an open source solutions to handle this repository size: you need a professional team behind, for sure.
Hi jllort,

Thank you for your advice and sharing experience.
In case of we used OpenKM Professional as my assumption, do we should proposed which HW sizing to customer?
 #52776  by jllort

Without analyzing the problem in deep is not possible to share a hardware configuration.

I can share standard configuration, for example:
1 milions docs, about 50-100 users can -> 4-8 cores, 8-12GB ram, 1,5TB disk ( but this configuration may be over-dimensioned or poor depending variables like document type, what are doing the users, percentage of reader and percentage of writers, if exist bulk upload process etc... , really a single user may overload the system depending what action are done and the frequency of them ).

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.