• INstallation on Ubuntu Server and java issue

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #41585  by malcmail

I installed and tested openKM on a Linux desktop box but now want to run it on a fresh Ubuntu Server box. I started with the installation instructions....
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre
But this returns no installation candidate. What did I miss?

Thanks in advance.
 #41586  by malcmail

So I found openjdk_7_jre_headless and installed it. Started Catalina and all seemed OK - Tomcat says it started, but when I go to the login page it cannot find it (and yes I used 8080 and OpenKM) Bit confused about what I might have done here.
 #41604  by jllort

Which OpenKM version did you installed ? Did you used the openkm linux installer which comes with embeded java or the openkm tomcat bundle what comes into zip ?

We suggest install Oracle Java rather than OopenJDK:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd7team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
Also for understanding whats happening I suggest start openkm from command line
./$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run ( not close the terminal, you are not starting as service, closing terminal you are closing the application, read with care the log, looking for some error ).
 #41613  by malcmail

Thanks. Got past step 1 by changing webupd7 for webupd8.

On starting in the terminal it actually did a lot more this time around. That's one long set of messages to read! First problems look like "The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance.....was not found on the java.library.path.

The next one was Failed to initialise end point associated with Protocol Handler.

ANy ideas?

By the way it is the Tomcat bundle running on Ubuntu 14.04 server (headless). If I run "java --version" I get could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Thanks again for your help.
 #41631  by jllort

"The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance" It's only a warning, not the reason why openkm is not starting.

Delete $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/catalina.log file.
Then start application and post here the catalina.log file ( into zip ) and we'll take a look to understanding which is your problem.
 #41633  by malcmail

Thanks for your reply. Attached is the log file. Whatever happens at the end of that output on screen I get back to a prompt, so I am presuming something has not started.
Attachments
(13.26 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
 #41639  by jllort

The error is clear:
java.net.BindException: Address already in use /0.0.0.0:8080
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.bind(JIoEndpoint.java:413)
You have another tomcat or application what is already using port 8080, that why openkm can not start binding on this port. You have two option, stop the application which is binding 8080 or change tomcat default ports, take a look here http://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/Severa ... ame_server
 #41640  by malcmail

I spotted that too, but no idea what it could be running. It's a fresh install and if I run in nmap I get http-proxy showing on that port. I had presumed it was tomcat. Especially since if I just log to myhost.com:8080 I get the tomcat screen. It only appears to be the OpenKM that causes the issue. Any ideas?
 #41654  by jllort

Sure you have some application running in these ports, otherwise you will not getting that error on start up.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.