• Using OPenKM

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #31227  by John.Maher

Hello

I am evaluating OPenKM to see if it will work for us. I ran the demo and it looks promising I've spent a couple of hours navigating the site and I am having terrible problems finding out how to use this software. What I would like is for someone to point me in the right direction or tell me this won't work. Any relevant links would be appreciated.

First off I can not find any topics that say how to start the app. Installation yes. Configuration yes. Running NO. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I've downloaded and installed the latest version. I have these options: "Launch OpenKM", "Start OpenKM", "Stop OpenKM" and "Uninstall OpenKM". Launch doesn't do anything. So I tried Start. That doesn't do anything. Maybe Launch will work now. Nope. So how does this work?

I will be converting an Access based system to OpenKM. The documents are helicopter part drawings. Due to export compliance they can not be stored on the cloud. Still undecided if we will store the drawings as blobs or just store the paths. But we have metadata in a SQL server database. Can this be incorporated into OpenKM without too much difficulty as lookup fields?

Thanks
JM
 #31237  by MattFisch2

maybe you haven't set
CATALINA_HOME
JRE_HOME
JAVA_HOME
correctly...

If thats the case, nothing will happen when you press "Start Openkm"...
I had the same problem at the beginning.

I solved it this way:
open your commandprompt (press Windows+R and type cmd)
then write: set CATALINA_HOME=your path\bin (in my case it was d:\openkm\tomcat\bin)
and: set JRE_HOME=your path\jre1.8.0_31 (in my case it was c:\program Files (x86)\java\jre1.8.0_31
and: set JAVA_HOME=your path\java (c:\program Files (x86)\java)

then write: your path\catalina.bat start (in my case: d:\openkm\tomcat\bin\catalina.bat start)
this way the server should start and you can access Openkm over any browser by typing: http://localhost:8080
Username: okmAdmin pw: admin
 #31275  by jllort

As suggested MattFisch2 try to start application from console.

About save document or only references ( record ). Record are still not supported by community version are only available at professional version. Record can allow you store only metadata information.
 #31438  by Aveline

I had the same problem, so thanks for the solutions.
 #31528  by Abnahi3

I've unzipped the bundle file. Ive made a small modification to the setenv.sh to allow Tomcat to bind to IPv4. The following was added.????
 #31553  by jllort

Hi Abnahi3 what did you modified ? and which error do you got when you run from terminal the command line "catalina.sh run " ?

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.