• Failed to update OpenKM 6.2.6 to 6.3.0

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #31217  by luke

Hi

I am unable to update OpenKM 6.2.6 to version 6.3.0

After update OpenKM stops at “Loading user values” and nothing happens.
Tried to clear cache on browser didn`t work. I have java 1.7 installed on Debian.
Rolled back to version 6.2.6 and it`s working fine.

Catalina log in the attachment.

Please help
Attachments
Log
(25.26 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
 #31240  by jllort

Seems there's some problem with table mime_types when is trying to update
Code: Select all
WARN  org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter - SQL Error: -5501, SQLState: 42501
2015-02-09 00:06:38,646 [pool-2-thread-1] ERROR org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter - user lacks privilege or object not found: MIMETYPE0_.MT6_55_
2015-02-09 00:06:38,647 [pool-2-thread-1] ERROR com.openkm.core.MimeTypeConfig - could not execute query
com.openkm.core.DatabaseException: could not execute query
	at com.openkm.dao.MimeTypeDAO.findAll(MimeTypeDAO.java:204)
Two suggestions:
1- Install fresh openkm 6.3 but configured with mysql ( do not use hsql embeded database, we encourage do not use on production because this database with wrong computer stop or similar can be corrupted and is quite difficult or totally impossible to recover )
2- export ( administration, with all checkbox selected ) openkm 6.2.x files and then import (with all checkbox selected). first import must be categories.

In case you do not want to move to mysql, read with care migration guide, because I suspect you've not executed the alter tables ALTER TABLE OKM_MIME_TYPE
http://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/Migrat ... 2.6_to_6.3
 #31253  by luke

Thanks for your response jllort.

I don`t want to move to MySQL yet. The fact is that in the manual it`s said to run these ALTER TABLE OKM_MIME_TYPE fix after the update so I can run it before the update ? After the update I can`t open OpenKM so I can`t make this step.

Regards
Luke
 #31279  by jllort

You can open embeded databse ( HSQL ) with some database client like data studio ( aquafold )
 #31461  by snowman

Hello,

I follow and I am using openKM since 5.0.7. And it works quite stable.
However, please, please improve the migration guide.
I consider myself an experienced amateur using and administering linux for 20 years now. I manage VMs and a whole set of (database) applications.
Still, migrating from one openkm version to another is always a thing with many questions open.

The current 6.2.6 to 6.3 may serve as an example.
1) I usually do not update on each version, currently I am running 6.2.5. I am never quite sure if I can skip an update. In this case doing a direct upgrade to 6.3. It would help to have an overview on this.
2) As in this thread asked, The very first step is the warning "There's a problem when you update a table adding a new column..." Do I do this before or after the exchange of the war and tomcat restart?
3) After exchanging the .war file I should go to Administrattion > Crontab. But how? I have not started tomcat again yet.
4) I am using HSQL currently (maybe I should change that). When I run the script within openkm I do not get any feedback if it was successful. How can I check.
5) WTF (sorry for my french) does that mean: "The ExecuteScription action SQL insert has changed between version 6.2.x to 6.X please take a look at Enable automation see how column with older value textarea now must have value code".
I have some basic knowledge about SQL database but I have no idea on how my installation is affected? What is the impact of this? What is the symptom?
6) I run the script mentioned as the last step in the guide. Again, I have no indication it was successful.

And finally the funny thing: After doing all this the version number still reads 6.2.5.

Please do not get me wrong. I really like the software. But this migrating is always pain in the neck. Please be a bit more specific and verbose on migration.

Best regards
 #31469  by jllort

Let's try to explain. Us we do some jumps between versions because we know in deep the application and in some case we've added in documentation sobre explanation about large jumps between version. Our suggestion always is upgrade step by step between previous version to next version. Is more tedious but more secure for user. Althought sometimes we've explained this large jumps we do not want to introduce as general documentation because that will cause more confusion than benefits.

About using Hypersonic we encourage switch to MySQL, PostgreSQL etc... for productions environments, Hypersonic is not good option when you're on production, hardware disk failure or bad shutdown can corrupt this database more easily than other ( we got some bad experience on it, and then is very difficult on not possible recover the database ). With OpenKM stopped can log to Hypersonic with some applications like aquafold ( obviously with Mysql or PostgreSQL is more easy doing it because there's a process yet running).

After changing war file, good practice is also remove /webapps/OpenKM and work/Catalina/localhost.

My suggestion for you will be:
1- Install fresh 6.3 with Mysql
2- export all data with export utility and import into new based on MySQL
3- About importing users and folders, some sql queries from here http://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/Migrat ... .11_to_6.2 can help you

Finally, sorry for our actual documentation status, we're working on doing entire new. We've abandoned the wiki, I do not know if we had not using correctly for our purposes or had been a mistake choosen it, now we got a messi. Meanwhile patience, we got about 4 months of hard working until we get it.

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.