• Open KM Installation IN QNAP NAS

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #24586  by Ganesh

Anyone installed openkm in QNap nas it comes with java and tomcat.
I tried to install several time installation goes well but I cannot make it work.
cannot start openkm after installation.If someone can provide me the details steps for installation in qnap nas.
I would be highly appreciated.
 #24590  by jllort

There's a preconfigured tomcat installed in qnap ? are you using this or which comes with openkm ?
 #24650  by jllort

Stop openkm, Delete catalina.log file, start again and see if there's some error there.
 #24799  by Ganesh

Hello jllort,
thanks for your help so far. I am still struggling with it.
I installed openkm with tomcat bundle. I uninstalled the tomcat thats come with qnap.
when i try to open openkm through browser I got error- requested resource(/openkm) cannot be found.
I can open tomcat page though i cannot modify anything through it as it is locked for security reason.
can you please provide me with some installation guidelines.
 #24810  by jllort

For what I understood you're using tomcat which comes by default with qnap is that ? in this case should be needed some changes in tomcat configuration to get openkm running, and depending how tomcat is installed this changes are not trivial ( not easy to explain what to change because are several possibilities ).
 #39325  by pablogiganti

Hi,
I´m also trying to install OpenKM on a Qnap NAS TS-459 Pro II https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product_x_dow ... t_choose=3. Qnap comes with Tomcat 7.0.50 as an installable App. Tomcat app also states that, before installing it, you should also install JRE 8.6.0 (Java 6) another app available for installation.
I´m not an expert but I guess I can´t install OpenKM + Tomcat bundle on this machine, can I?
If not, can I somehow install OpenKM with the Tomcan + JRE environment that the Qnap NAS TS-459 Pro II provides?
Thanks,
Pablo
 #39357  by jllort

Before speding time thinking on how to use this tomcat, where will you install database ?

I've seen technicals papers and seems this hardware comes with 1GB of ram, I think your on confusion about what is a networking server ( to store binary files and not much else ) and what needs a DMS ( dms save files but does something else, like indexing that need processing documents to extract its contents that use a lot of cpu and ram for it etc... ).

NAS is not an option to install into a DMS sofware ( anyone ).
 #39403  by pablogiganti

Hi,
Thank you for your quick reply. My Qnap has many more features than a plain NAS and I upgraded its memory to 4GB so I guess that, being a soho user, should be enough. What do you think?

For instance, some of the applications that I have installed in it and that are needed/useful to run OpenKM are Apache (PHP, SQLite, GD, etc.), JRE 8.6, Tomcat 7.0.50, MySQL server, phpMyAdmin 4.1.13.1, etc.

Here´s a forum about the Tomcat version that Qnap supports (mine is X86)
http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=166
One thing I realized looking at other Qnap users Tomcat´s screenshots is that I should be able to access “Tomcat Manager Application” page. There, there´s an option to Deploy Applications in different ways and there´s one option to browse, upload and deploy WAR files.

I guess I should download Openkm-6.3.0-war.zip ( All platforms * ) access that page and deploy this version into my system. Is that right?
The problem is that I can´t access Tomcat Manager Application either because JRE or Tomcat are not properly installed in my NAS but that is not related to OpenKM. So, I´ll try to solve this problem first and then come back to this post with results.
Pablo
 #39428  by jllort

The openkm-tomcat bundle comes with a tomcat-7.0.27 with some added files and other modified, will be not only installating war file, also should be modified server.xml, add OpenKM.cfg and OpenKM.xml files, some libs into tomcat/lib etc...

The easiest probably will be compare clean tomcat-7.0.27.zip with ours to see differences. You must check differences on this folders:
/conf ( at least server.xml and probably others )
/OpenKM.cfg
/OpenKM.xml
/webapps/OpenKM.war
/libs ( some folders and missing libraries sure )
 #39461  by pablogiganti

Thanks a lot for the info.
I´ll try to fix my JRE and Tomcat installation and get back to this post later with the info you suggest I should get from Tomcat.
 #39623  by pablogiganti

Hi,
I managed to get Tomcat working on my Qnap, deployed openkm.war, went to Tomcat´s Tomcat Web Application Manager and hit start next to OpenKM.
I´ve got this error which was kind of expected as I haven´t done any of the comparison work you mentioned:

FAIL - Application at context path /OpenKM could not be started
FAIL - Encountered exception org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/OpenKM]]

I´ll be using Tomcat only for OpenKM. Instead of comparing, copying/pasting can I just overwrite/add those file folders you mentioned?
I´m a total beginner on this so I would appreciate an easy way to get OpenKM working.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Pablo
 #39630  by jllort

An easy way to get OpenKM installed is run our OpenKM + tomcat bundle, other kind of configuration are hand made, then can be easy or not.

I would like you post here your catalina.log file ( stop openkm, remove the file, and start, then zip the file and upload here ). I think the log will gave us some idea about what's happening.
 #39648  by pablogiganti

Yes, I understand that without installing your version of Tomcat everything is going to be more complicated. The problem is that you can only install .qpkg apps using its apps manager and I don´t think there´s a .qpkg version of Tomcat + OpenKM bundle, is it?

Where is that file located? I looked here : /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Tomcat/tomcat/logs but there´re a bunch of files with similar names to catalina.log but none called exaclty like that.
E.g.
catalina.2014-01-28.log
catalina.2015-05-21.log
catalina.2015-05-22.log
catalina.out
host-manager.2014-01-28.log
localhost.2014-01-28.log
localhost_access_log.2014-01-28.txt
manager.2014-01-28.log
...etc.

Shall I delete all three catalina.2014-01-28.log, catalina.2015-05-21.log, catalina.2015-05-22.log, start OpenKM and post any new file here?
Thanks,
Pablo

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.