• Importing everything from another DMS

• OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
OpenKM has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #29605  by mohasinmujawar56

Is there any way to import the whole folder structure and files from another DMS along with Metadata?
Suppose I am using a DMS and I want to switch to DMS. Now I want my whole folder structure to be imported in OpenKM so is there any way to do the same?
I want whole files and folders along with metadata.
 #29608  by jllort

Obviously there're several ways for doing it, but first some minimal questions:
How are you exporting data ? connecting to API or some utility what comes with software ? Try to explain your actual stage, how are you connecting to application to get documents and metadata and what format are you able to be exported
First question is about if you want to migrate all document versions or only the last ?
All documents are stored into folder and subfolder structure ?
 #29622  by mohasinmujawar56

The DMS while exporting creates an excel file with all file names their DMS path and actual disk path(on local i.e after downloading where it will be saved) along with metadata and version history. According to excel sheet it creates folders and sub folders in local system and at root folder the excel will be created. Is there any way to import that excel file and referring to that excel the same folder structure will be created in OpenKM?
 #29640  by jllort

Yes. Better if you got CSV than XLS file, because it's easier to be processed.

If you take a look at OpenKM -> Administration -> you'll see there're are two features ( import and export utility ). The idea will be process all data into CSV file and create correct structure and files to be imported. Before it answer me some question:

- You want to import document history or only with last version of the document is enough ( basically I ask to you if in excel there's information about several versions of the same document ).
- What is your metadata structure, provide here at least one example of what you got, because as a previous step, should be first create metadata definition.
 #29788  by mohasinmujawar56

I am sending you a excel file in which i am getting the exported data from DMS.
The history is not required only the data i am getting is important. And to import in OpenKM.

This is the demo file with headings that am getting after exporting from DMS. I have not included any data in this but the headings are sufficient to explore the idea.
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
 #29800  by jllort

When you wrote index1, I suppose you're talking about property group name ? will be better if each column be the propertygroup name for example okp:group.field_name
Process csv file is something easy. If you're able to export all data of your repository is this control file ( csv ) can be easyly done an importing process for it.

Here I see there's nothing about security. And other questions will be about the number of files to import ?

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.