• Migration of OpenKM 4.1 Windows to v6.3 on Linux. Possible?

• Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Problems with installing OpenKM? No problemo, the solution is closer than you think.
Forum rules: Please, before asking something see the documentation wiki or use the search feature of the forum. And remember we don't have a crystal ball or mental readers, so if you post about an issue tell us which OpenKM are you using and also the browser and operating system version. For more info read How to Report Bugs Effectively.
 #29444  by ilagi

Hi,
We have an old OpenKM 4.1 on Windows running on Windows Server 2003. Now that the support ends for Windows Server 2003 we are thinking to migrate it to the latest OpenKM version on linux.

Is it possible to migrate our repository of files keeping permissioning, file history, etc from 4.1 on Windows to 6.3 on Linux?

Thanks
 #29468  by ilagi

Thank you, but going from 4.1 to 6.3 would be 25 steps!
That is just crazy. Also, based on experience I would think that the chance that everything would work through all 25 upgrades and everything would be work when I finally arrive to 6.3 is pretty minimal.
Is this upgrade from subversion to the next subversion is the only way to do it?
Isn't there an upgrade path between major versions (let's say 5.0 to 6.0?)

Thanks
 #29469  by ilagi

Sorry, I recounted it - with the possible jumps it is still 18 upgrades to go from 4.1 to 6.3.

Also, if I go with the 18 step-by-step upgrades at what point can I switch over from Windows to Linux?
Is there a Windows to Linux migration guide somewhere?
 #29482  by jllort

You can jump from windows to linux at any time. Is a simply restore of the system in other OS, nothing else. Simply move the files, install java etc... restore database if you're not using embeded ( if you use embeded you still have moved when you copyed files ) and start application. Take care java version until 5.1.x used is jdk 1.6 but from 6.2 is jdk 1.7

About Us

OpenKM is part of the management software. A management software is a program that facilitates the accomplishment of administrative tasks. OpenKM is a document management system that allows you to manage business content and workflow in a more efficient way. Document managers guarantee data protection by establishing information security for business content.